AqauSoil Dependent

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Tank looked great for about 18 months, then growth slowed and algae started winning. Replaced the AS with Eco-Complete, but could never regain the previous growth and vitality, and algae became worse than ever. Fought with it for several years, tried everything I could think of, and did my best to learn from the experienced folks on this forum, but had to admit defeat. Somehow, without the AS, I just don't have it. My question is, are their any others out there who find themselves similarly limited?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I do understand your frustration, I had a greeaaat looking tank a few years back but after I moved I just couldn't get it "balanced" the way it was before and I was battling alot more algae than I should of (as well as losing some of the plants I had previously kept). That being said, I don't consider myself dependent on any particular "thing" to create a good looking tank. My current project (the paludarium in my signature) has been a blast and I freely admit I can't always say I know what the heck I am doing with it. I bet if you tore down your tank (if you didn't already), re-thought out your gear, and set it up again in a logical fashion (IE not crazy bright lights + CO2 but no added fertilizer or something) you would have a good looking tank again.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Just some info for you guys: aquarium bulbs have a life span of putting out the rated temperature of light. After the life span has been reached the temp will rise to the zone that plants don't like but algae does. The really crappy thing is that you can't tell by looking at the bulb if it's reached it's usable life span or not. Typical life of a planted aquarium bulb is 6-12 months. That could have been your issue...

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
or too much or too little CO2 or light, or iron. i was having huge issues with algae in my tank. i started to give the plants more Prosperous and then double that with K, for some odd reason it stopped my algae and heck my plants started to explode with growth. I have learned that you just have to go with it, try new things and keep in the back of your head that anything you do can make or break how your tank looks, you just have to ride with it, what fun would keeping aquariums be if there was no challenge

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Yeah, I guess you're right. I spent so much time and effort trying out everything that seemed reasonable, so maybe I just have to go a little bit crazy to find the balance.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
slow and steady, keep track of what you do, that way you dont add to much at once or too little. on my small planted tanks, i would do 2 WCs a week, one 15% and one 30-40% i did the big one to kind of remove any leftover E that the algae could soak up before my plants could

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Potassium is the first thing that I've seen in short supply in my aquarium. I deliberately keep mine on the high side. Remember potassium is used in the Na/K pump in cell membranes. If you don't have enough then everything in the plant slows down.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
like what "the v" said i like to keep my K on the high side, it keeps the plants growing and using all other E keeping it from the pest algae. i would read up on the different types of algae, its funny the algae type will tell you what your problems is.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Now that I think about it, if low K was preventing N and P uptake, then the plants could be starving yet test results might still show seemingly adequate N & P levels. I had never dosed much K since I'd thought that enough was present in the KNO3 and KH2PO4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store