"Snow" in my tank after dosing seachem reef fusion 2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
Hello, I've been out of saltwater for a while but am currently cycling a 10 gallon I plan on turning into a nano-reef. I have a clark's clownfish in there (I stupidly listened to the pet store employee without researching first... usually i know better, i will be swapping for an ocellaris or percula) and plan on getting a small bubble tip or long tentacled anemone when the tank is established. I have 72w of t5 over the tank, and ordered reef fusion 1 and 2 but the ordered got messed up and i didnt receive reef fusion 1. I went ahead and dosed the reef fusion 2, one capful doses about 30 gallons so I used about a third of a cap. Now I have what looks like snow in my tank! The clownfish doesnt seem stressed or anything, what happened and what should I do?

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
The "snow" is gone, but is it harmful while it is there? What causes it and how can i keep it from happening again?

Sent from my LG-LS860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The snow is calcium precipitation. It won't harm anything but if you notice clumping in/on the sanded during your next water change you should vacuum it. 1 & 2's or A & B's are meant to be dosed somewhat together (not at the exact same time). There is a balance between alkalinity and calcium that is required to maintain them in solution. When that balance is off (one is overdosed), the end result is precipitation. Further, magnesium is the final component that technically keeps them both in check with each other.

Your tank is fine but you should not dose anything without testing (maybe you did?). Also, I would be shocked if you actually needed to dose anything in a tank that size as long as you are doing regular water changes. Maybe a little alk and mag once and a while but unless your salt mix runs very low on calcium, I doubt you will even need it. Dosing anything also assumes you have animals in the tank that will uptake these elements. A bubble tip or LTA will not, at any rate to be concerned with. The few stony corals you could fit in the tank would also be hard pressed to deprive the system on a regular basis. I suggest that you do a water change and test your parameters about a day later and every couple days for the rest of the week. That will allow you to see any trends and you will know when and how much to dose (again, I don't expect you will need to).

A 10 gallon is a difficult tank for a hosting anemone. Not saying it cannot be done but the nem will eventually outgrow the tank and it leaves very little "wandering room" to stay out of powerheads and other equipment.

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
Isnt the carbonate and calcium important to dose the tank with in order to maintain ph and alkalinity for the fish etc? I use instant ocean salt and I don't know how well it maintains ph.

Sent from my LG-LS860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
it should already be in your salt mix. like he said, with that small of a tank, its not likely that your corals will use up all the N before your next WC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store