Computer Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I hope you would be able to answer my question. I currently live at home and use my families home network. We currently have three computers (iMac, Macbook pro, and another laptop) all connected using a wired Netgear router. I have had the internet frequently slow down to a stop without disconnecting and it is interfering with my school work. I noticed that one of the other computers has a program called terminal running. While it is not my laptop and I do not have access to it they do not have permission from anyone to use up the bandwidth.

I have been given permission to buy any new equipment that I need to remedy this so if you could help direct me as to the best possible course of action it would be most appreciated.

The best way that I can explain the situation is that the internet seems to be intentionally capped off when they are online. If I remove my ethernet cord and then reattach the internet starts to work for a 20 seconds and then slows right back down again. I have done some research and found that some of the new routers have a QoS option. Would this give my computer or mac address priority over the other computers on the network even with the potential software hacking that might be going on?

Please let me know what you think and whether you need me to give more information that I did not already disclose. Thank you in advance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store