Saltwater newbie, 120G or 36G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Hi all:

I'm an experienced freshwater hobbyist, and I'm interested in trying a saltwater setup. I have an empty 120G long and an empty 36G bow. I also have a 29G and a 28G bow, but I'm guessing that the two bigger ones would be better choices for this project. Any advice on which to start with? The 120G would be a real showpiece, but I'm wondering if it is a bit much to bite off in the beginning. Buying a new tank isn't out if the question if that is a better option.

Thanks for any advice!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I always say that the "Bigger the better", but bigger tanks have their problems too. More light, more LR, more expensive WC, ect.

If it a reef or FOWLR??

PS--If it was me, I would go with the 120.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
120 for sure if you have the budget for the equipment, would suggest picking up a 55g for the sump. If you go with 38 and decide you want to upgrade later a lot of the equipment you got for the smaller tank will be inefficient for a larger setup.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Larger tanks are more forgiving. More water = more dilution meaning less Ph/salinity swings if you make a mistake.

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Pick what animals you want. That, more than anything else, will drive what will make you happy. Yes, a 120 is going to cost more to setup, but if you want larger fish, or lots of fish, it's your only option. I don't think a 120 is really a huge tank, tbh. A smaller tank, if setup and stocked properly, won't be as much effort, just more frequent attention.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, with a FOWLR, I would use the bigger tank. Most SW fish get bigger then FW and would like/need the bigger tank. With a FOWLR, the cost if not "that much" more. You would not need the DI/RO water, a sump is not "really" needed, no calcium additive or calcium reactor, no special lights, ect.

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for the advice so far. I have to admit to being a bit reluctant to set up a sump, so it is encouraging to read that it might not be necessary. Based on the research I have been doing, I was beginning to get the impression that the bigger the tank, the more need there would be for a sump. I was tempted to go to a smaller tank to avoid this.

I do have a couple of spare Rena XP4's that I could use for project- but I'm not sure how to best make use of them in a saltwater system. Certainly they will give me some flow- though not quite enough- I've read that I should turn over 8-10x of the tank volume per hour.

If I could use what I have to get started, my biggest expense would be the live rock and maybe lighting (I have some T5HO lighting- but I think it adds up to only 96 watts total).

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
8 to 10X would be on the extreme low end even for a FOWLR. Granted you don't need the 40 to 60X turnover that a reef with more difficult corals would demand but I would still want at least 30x turnover. Flow isn't just for corals, it for overall tank health. Good news, is this flow can be accomplished with powerheads. Even if you had a sump, you wouldn't want that much flow going through it.

If this were a reef, I would say the cost of a 120 v. a 36 would be more of an issue. However, since you have the tank and you intend it to be a FOWLR, the major difference in cost is already behind you. Lighting a 6' FOWLR isn't going to be significant over a 36. Similarly, a skimmer (if you decide to get one), won't be a significant difference for the larger tank. The biggest short term cost increase will be the amount of rock you need to buy (although dry rock can help offset that a bit). The major long term cost difference will be maintenance costs. If you are going sumpless in a 120, you will probably want to do weekly water changes. At least bi-weekly. Also, those water changes will probably need to be of the 20%+ volume versus mainly 10% changes on a sumped system with a good skimmer.

I am a big proponent of using a sump. There are just so many more options available and benefits to having one.

I may be way off but many people start off with a FOWLR, only to want a reef down the road. I suggest you take a stroll through a good LFS or visit some online retailers and make sure you want a FOWLR. The costs really start to add up when you buy equipment twice or have to add equipment to supplement the lower end stuff you start with. Sounds like you have a bit of experience under your belt. A little research up front and a commitment to do things right and I have no doubt you can handle a reef.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd go the opposite--the smaller the tank, the better off you'll be having a sump. In a bigger tank, the sump is primarily to hide equipment and push water around, but in a smaller system, the additional water volume is really helpful.

Either way, sumps are good. They make a lot of things much easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store