closed loop vs sump for minimal maintenance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
Am setting up a 65g FW tank for my little nephew at my sister's place. I had originally got this tank with the intention of setting it up for an octopus but then plans changed and now it resides at my sister's because my little nephew loves aquariums. The downside is that my sister is aquatically challenged and while I was out of town, tried to set it up with air-stones "for filtration" some white sand and then a bunch of goldfish and plecos :swear: so now after a couple months I've got the tank empty and ready to start over.
I know this tank is not going to get much in the way of routine care because of her busy schedule, so the plan for now is a light stocking and heavy plant filtration. I've got a 20g long aquarium ready for a sump, and the tank has an overflow box and bulkhead. However I'm thinking a closed loop system will handle the neglect better than a sump and less surface disturbance for the plants. I've got a quiet one 2200 pump that I'm going to use for either application.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store