1 betta and 6 CPDs together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
We have one betta (unk sex) in a 2.5G at the moment, had him/her there for a few months but it just looks lonely in there. So we are thinking about giving him some friends.

I just got an incredible buy of a Fluval Spec V brand new, never used for $20 on CL! I have 6 Celestial Pearl Danios in my QT tank and want to move them out in a couple weeks (been in there for 2 weeks now, doing great).

Want to know if betta/CPD combo is doable. CPDs are quick little guys and my betta would never swim fast enough to catch them I don't think. The 7 fish would go together into the new Spec V once it's established. I probably will fill the tank with fine black substrate and plant it with low light plants since the LEDs are not bright at all.

Any thoughts? I would hate to lose any CPDs though.

IMAG0988.jpg

IMAG0988.jpg

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I see no reason that would make it a problem..most bettas are only aggressive to other betta like fish ..and like you said the cpds are fast.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I would moniter it closely if you decide to take that route. I have never been lucky when adding tank mates to a betta tank.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I see no reason that would make it a problem..most bettas are only aggressive to other betta like fish ..and like you said the cpds are fast.
I agree. I've kept many different fish with bettas. Your betta will likely ignore them.

Mark

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks guys. I will be cautious at first. I've had sick tiger barbs with a Betta without a problem (used it has a hospital tank) and a small platy also. But the Betta did pick on the platy so I had to take it out. It was a different betta than the one we have now. So ok, we will try it. I just think the small CPDs are too small for my main tank at the moment. Perhaps when they are fully grown to 2.5 cm, I can put them the main tank. At that point they should be like neon tetra size I'm hoping.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Doh! We put the betta in first 2 days ago along with one oto! Interestingly we've noticed the betta flaring at the oto and my daughter freak out about that and she will not let me put her "baby" CPDs in there. She thinks the betta willl nip or eat the CPDs. I suggested we buy 1 tiny neon tetra and put it in the tank to see what happens. If the betta leaves the neon alone, when we will put the CPDs in and move the neon to my main tank. At least that's the plan we agreed to. Will get the neon today.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
And then what will you do with the neon?

Sorry, but I'd pull the betta, add the CPD's, give them a few days to settle in and then reintroduce the betta. Better than ending up with a single neon that's going to be stressed and a HUGE disease vector for your freshly quarantined CPD's.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Sheila, the Spec V we bought specifically for our betta. The 6 CPDs that I bought a month ago are still in my QT tank. The neon that I will buy today will go directly into the betta tank. If the neon gets picked on I will put it in the 2.5G that the betta came from, and it's still up and running with it's filter. That will be the new neon's QT tank for a month, then it will go into the main tank. If the neon does get pick on, then the Spec V will be just for our betta and a cory (ops, I said oto in my previous post). And the CPDs... well, we will see if they get bigger and when they reach an inch, we will place them in the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store