Filtration Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mattjm20

AC Members
Oct 30, 2013
Hello all,

I'm going to be setting up a planted 90G tank shortly and wanted to ask for your thoughts on filtration. Traditionally, with smaller tanks, I've had the hang on back filters... now I'm thinking of a canister filter. I was looking at the Fluval FX6.

My questions are:
- Can you all recommend a canister filter for this set up? I realize there is an Eheim camp and a Fluval camp, etc...
- For those of you familiar with Fluval FX6 and similar set ups, will the FX6 provide too much current/water flow in a 90 gallon? (http://uk.hagen.com/Fluval-fx6)

Basically, the LFS recommended the Fluval 405, but I'm not sure if that might be a little light weight given the tank size... I want to go bigger if I can without turning the tank into a **** river :flamed:

Would love your thoughts!

(PS - will post on lighting in a separate thread, sorry in advance if it seems like spamming)

Mattjm20

AC Members
Oct 30, 2013
Good feedback, thanks! I guess I just thought I should err on the side of very awesome filtration :)

I guess I could always add another filter later if I needed to...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd go with 2, tbh. Running at full capacity with clean media, one filter is going to turn over the water less than 7 times an hour. I like a bit more movement than that.

Mattjm20

AC Members
Oct 30, 2013
I'd go with 2, tbh. Running at full capacity with clean media, one filter is going to turn over the water less than 7 times an hour. I like a bit more movement than that.
Any reason why 2 filters vs. one big one? I've done that in the past so I can stagger the replacement of filter media. Just curious to hear your thoughts. For example, two Fluval 405's vs. one FX6.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I like the ability to direct flow across a wider area than one filter, and in a big tank I think it's better to have a 'backup'. Helps reduce the burden on any given filter. People tend to think that since the plants help process the nitrogen, there's less that needs to be filtered out...but nitrogen based waste is just one that can be tested readily.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yup, I agree with Oriongirl.. 2 filters allows a bit more flexibility in placement..

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
My suggestion is to think outside the box, in other words NOT a canister filter for a planted aquarium

I would consider a Fluidized Sand Bed Filter, which have considerably more bio capacity pound for pound over any canister filter

Fluidized Bed Filters use fine sand kept suspended in a water flow for aerobic biological filtration. The plus is they are basically self cleaning as the sand is constantly rubbing against other grains keeping down the organic buildup.

These are a good choice for planted tanks as these also do not scrub off CO2.

I suggest running these with a water pump that has a prefilter.
A planted tank does not require as high a flow rate as a fish only aquarium too, usually 2-3 times per hour is adequate

My personal favorite is the TMC V2 FSB Filter

ian21777

AC Members
Mar 7, 2013
My suggestion is to think outside the box, in other words NOT a canister filter for a planted aquarium

I would consider a Fluidized Sand Bed Filter, which have considerably more bio capacity pound for pound over any canister filter

Fluidized Bed Filters use fine sand kept suspended in a water flow for aerobic biological filtration. The plus is they are basically self cleaning as the sand is constantly rubbing against other grains keeping down the organic buildup.

These are a good choice for planted tanks as these also do not scrub off CO2.

I suggest running these with a water pump that has a prefilter.
A planted tank does not require as high a flow rate as a fish only aquarium too, usually 2-3 times per hour is adequate

My personal favorite is the TMC V2 FSB Filter
I disagree about the flow rate required for a planted tank. It needs to be dispersed through a spraybar or some kind of lily pipe arrangement so that it isn't a raging torrent of course. It also needs to minimise surface agitation. But you need the higher flow to fully distribute nutrients and co2. I had a planted set up. High light intensity, high nutrients, heavy co2 and a good high turnover from 2 filters. 1 cannister and a juwel internal. Cannisters also allow you to plumb your co2 inline, which not only disperses it better, but also keeps equipment out of the tank. Granted a sand filter will allow for more biological filtration, but you want to leave some for the plants!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mattjm20

AC Members
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks everyone. Gonna be honest... I have never even heard or seen one of those sand bed filters. *DO* love the points on having two separate filters to spread the load and better disperse the water

Would appreciate more thoughts if possible

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store