question please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lisa and steve

AC Members
Jul 14, 2013
my male gourami has passed away after 2 months of fighting to stay alive :( :( :( my question is, do i need to get a new male for his mate? witch by the way and sure she is having babies .

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The female gouramies don't raise the fry, and the eggs are fertilized externally, so...not sure how she'd have babies in the absence of a male.

Do you NEED to get a replacement? No...you can if you want, but unless you have the facilities to raise the fry, there's not much reason to worry about it. I certainly would not get another fish until you have the tank sorted out to resolve whatever killed the male.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Totally agree. What are your water parameters? Do you do weekly water changes?

Gouramis do excellent by themselves from what I've experienced. They can be real pills in groups.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Can you give more information on the male???? How old, what was wrong, ro what was he doing?

As for another male, not necessary unless that is what you want. I do concur, females only spawn and then they are out of it. So no gourami fry for you at this time. Also, once you give information on what was going on with the male e can advise as to whether this is a good time to add another fish of any sory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store