When feeding the fishies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WickedReef

AC Members
Oct 23, 2013
South Florida
Quick question, just thought of this, but I have an overflow in my tank and some of the food was going into it. If the food goes into the overflow then it goes into my filter pads, and food getting caught on my pads is food that will be wasted and not available for my fish and would be added waste to my filter pads. So if I want this to not happen, would the best thing to do be to remove the pads while feeding, turn off my pumps, or an idea I'm not having?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Turn off the pump, or soak the food so it does not float.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ha I would probably give up the hobby if I had to remove filter pads every time I feed. I mean you certainly could remove the filter pad or turn off your return if you'd like. But it seems like more of a hassle than anything.

Personally, I just make sure I'm not overfeeding and not let the CUC/filter sock/skimmer/water changes do the rest. If I were in your position I'd do the same also make sure I rinse the pad before it gets too dirty.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
After seeing a friend of mine do it several times with his dry foods, I started this practice myself... Hold it underwater for a few seconds and then release it a few inches under the surface. It greatly reduces the amount that goes down the overflow.

Of course, soaking it in a cup works, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store