Treating for sickness with mystery snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I have 2 tanks a 40 gallon and a 50 gallon both are goldfish tanks. Today I noticed that one of my black moors is coverd in white dots and my other moor has them all over his tail, ive done alot of research and elimination and have concluded it to be ich. In both tanks I have 4 snails in each, prior to treatment I moved all the snails to the 50 gallon while i treated the 40.
When I discoverd that my moors had ich, is also when I noticed a few white spots on one or two of my long finned zebra danios who are in my 50 gallon. But im not sure if it is ich since there are only a few spots and there no less active as normal. Or if it something to do with amonia.

The question I was wondering is if I also need to treat my 50 while my 40 gallon is also being treated, and I move all 8 of my snails to around a 10 gallon, would they be fine for a week or two without a filter as long as I do frequent water changes?
Sorry if anything was confusing, thanks for any help.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
The snails will be fine in the ten. They are tough customers and can survive stuff fish cannot.

As for the ich, you need to up the temp in both tanks to approximately 84-86 degrees. I would also add a heaping tbs of aquarium or solar salt per ten gallons to each tank. For the goldfish, I'd do the danios as well, you can give them a nice salt bath to knock the visable ich off of them. In a five gallon bucket, or what ever, add 1 1/2 tbs salt to each gallon of water and make sure it disolves. Put the fish in for 15-25 min. or until they are surfacing for air. I'd put an airline in and crank it as well but it is not necessary. For the Danios, 1 tbs then the same thing. All the visable ich should be gone when you put them back into the tank.

Ich must drop off the fish and go to the bottom to reproduce. It hates heat and salt. The salt tends to be more intense, higher levels, on the bottom. When the ich falls it is toast.

You really need to figure out what cause the fish to stress and allowed the ich to take hold. Maybe a water change and the water was too cold or some other factor. The fact that it is in both tanks points to something common in both situations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store