ugh, Snail I.D please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I woke up this morning and turned the lights on all my tanks, and saw this guy going up the side of the glass of my new 29 gallon iwugami planted tank... I HATE snails, what is it and how do i get rid of it...

thanks!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Looks like a bladder snail to me.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Bladder/pond snail. I'm not sure if your hate for snails applies to all snails but assassin snails will kill them. Otherwise you're best option is to cautiously feed the tank and remove by hand. Pest snails reproduce when there is an excess of food available.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Depending on your fish species, another option is to squish snails against the glass & let your fish eat the remains. I find a few snails (of any species) a help in keeping a bit of excess food & small amounts of algae in check. You can also try baiting them in the evening with veggies & removing veg & snails in the am.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
These dudes also tend to reproduce relatively slowly, for "pest" snails. I like mine, but, that's just my opinion.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
They reproduce slowly if you don't have a planted tank going though an algae bloom when starting out. I had thousands of these in my big tank that hitch along with some plants. I took me 6 months of squishing and the addition of 10 assassin snails to et the population under control. They have been reduced further with the addition of some brigg snails.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
These are bladder, i.e. chain store snails. All the chains are infested with them constantly. There really is no way to fully get them gone unless you copper the tank or something, which I don't think is too great for planted tanks.

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
So how many snails are too many? My snails are starting to take over, which I suspect is not good. I tried baiting them with cucumber to no avail. They didn't take the bait.

What should I do, get assasin snails? If so, how many? The guy at the LFS told me that they are no good because once they eat all the snails, you have to get more snails!

I do think I'm probably over-feeding the tank. I'll do less food, and there is now a lot of algae. I just moved a pleco from my QT tank in. I clean and do water changes every week. About 40% and use the scraper on the glass, but the decore and plants are getting covered with algae. I give my tank a siesta but timing the lights off an hour every day. The tank is near a big window, but I don't have any other place for it and the window doesn't get a huge amount of light, though as I said it's big.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Over-feeding is your big killer. I purposely grow mts in my 40g planted so they can stir up my sand, eat algae, and get eaten by my giant clown loaches in my 100g. Assassins are great if you keep a local food source, i.e. your apple or whatever pest snail seems to be the problem. Otherwise the assassins will starve to death over time due to not being able to find the proper, snack-sized snail.

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
I'm a bit confused. What is the local food source for assassins? Do they only eat snails? If not assasins, how else to keep them under control? Try to catch as many as possible, then not overfeed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store