Unlucky 40 gallon goldfish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Ive had my 40 gallon tank set up for about 2 months, and ive been using my pre established 50 aquaclear filter on, that was prevousily on my 50 gallon tank.
But Ive now lost 3 out of the 5 fish that have been in there.
I started off with a black moor and a orange fantail and about a week later I added a small white fantial, but after the first night I woke up to my white fantails tail being nipped off. He didnt end up getting better and about 4 days later passed away. After that I just kept my remianing goldfish in the 40 and didnt add any new fish. But all of the sudden a week or so later im pretty sure my black moor had a seizure, and they next day when I came to check on them, he seemed to be obsesed with the filter. The next time I went to look at him his tail was stuck in the filter intake tube, after I freed him, he floated up to the top on his side and stayed like that. I thought it might just be shock but about 20 minuts later he passed away. When I looked at him I noticed a grayish white mucus covering on him.
Now we come to recently, about 4 to 5 days ago I purchesed 2 new black moors and made sure they were the general same size of my remianing orange goldfish. When I got back from a friends for halloween I discoverd my black moor coverd in ich spots, my orange and black moors tail coverd in ich spots, and my orange goldfish with a grayish white muscus covering. I did research and new for certian that it is ich. So I got 2 things of ich treatment, one of them was suppose to also help with protozeon parasites. On the back it had a symptom guide matced what I had for a problum in my tank. So I used the recomended dosage the day I got it, then the same the next day (following instructions exactly). Anways I went to check on my fish tonight and found my orange fantial on his side, when I fliped him right side up he swam alittle but when ever he stoped he turned on his side agian. About 10 minutes later he passed away.
Whats going on, any ideas?
Could it be to much light?
should I do a 90% water change and do a big cleaning?
Thanks for any help, Im starting to get despret, and I dont want to loose the two fish that I have left.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Do you have an empty 5 or 10 g you could set up as a QT/hospital tank for awhile? I assume these goldfish, being new, are quite small and would not be harmed by an excessively small tank for the few weeks ich eradication would take. Plus you would then have a tank ready to go for QT for any new fish in the future.

But back to the present, a smaller tank needs less medication dosage and, with bare bottom and no decor is easier to do a good vacuuming of the bottom daily to pull out the ich spores. Keep feeding the 40 g to maintain the bioload for the filter bacteria. My only experience with ich has been with mollies: for them I used just raised temperature and salt for treatment, but I don't know how high a temp you can use on a coldwater fish like goldies, nor how much salt is safe for them. You would need to read around the net on responsible sites for suggestions as to whether this would help, or could just keep using the medications you have now.

The problem with ich is that no meds will touch it when it is in its spore /cyst stage of life. That's what the vacuuming is for in the QT tank; in the big tank you don' t care, they can hatch all they want to but without a host to latch onto they will die. One thing absolutely required though is patience: take whatever outer limit of time for treatment is given on your medication bottle or any site you consult, then just double it. Ich is a real pest and hard to eradicate so you want to make VERY sure you have got it this time so you don't have to go through this ever again.

And once all is concluded and (hopefully) your present fish are healthy again , be very slow at adding any more and in fact consider just keeping those as the only goldies in the tank. Goldfish grow very large if very slowly and a 40g is none too big for even a single one or a pair. Any more than that....try looking into other, smaller, coldwater fish that could be interesting tankmates. Rosy barb, gold barb, even the rarer ticto barb might be possibilities; the ticto is the biggest (says wiki) at 4 in but the others max out around 2-2.5 inch. Good luck with your fish. :)

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thank you for the advice. I unfortunetly dont have a 5-10 gallon tank. Though I was planing on getting one anyways since since I have snails and there might have been a chance that i would have needed to treat both my 40 and 50 gallon.
I actualy have my 40 gallon tank as a bare bottom anways.
I think ill try to get a 10 gallon tomorow or the day after, so should I do a small water change daily to clean the bottom of the tank?
Youve been a big help :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store