First attempt to do a 3D background - need guidance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

javier180

Registered Member
Nov 4, 2013
I'm looking to do something different for my 75 Gallon tank for my RES turtles. I want to build a 3D background with a dock at the top of it. I just need some professionals to direct me to what items are required for this project. What should I see to mount the back to the glass, paints, coating, tools and etc. I only bought foam and a hot glue gun so far. Thanks for your help

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A you tube search should get you started on endless ideas.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
A you tube search should get you started on endless ideas.
Yes but he came here for the real advice.

Sounds like you know a little about what you want to do, which is good. probably sketch something out first. Then I would look into what materials are tank safe or what you need to do to make them safe. I know a lot of people use great stuff and super glue, also a sealant called dry-lok. And as for mounting aquarium safe silicone is very popular too. check the search feature on our site, there are a ton of DYI backgrounds to learn from.

Vic_Fishman

Registered Member
Dec 2, 2013
i used the pink Styrofoam and cut it into rock like shapes, progressively smaller and stacked them on top each other using silicone and then i painted it with cement, first mix it runny and put a thin coat on, helps if u rough up the Styrofoam and bit with sand paper so it can grab on, then a thicker coat, another think coat and then another thick coat.
just make sure you get Styrofoam that dose not have the fire resistant or mold resistant chemicals on it, i cut mine into 3 pannels and make sure you do LOTS of dry fitting, i ended up putting a rim a 1" styrofoam around the boarder of each panel and then silicone that too the tank, i had space for the filter intakes and out takes and heaters..power heads were hard to fit in though..
any questions just ask:)

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I wouldn't use Styrofoam with RES turtles. They'll have it scratched up and torn apart in no time unless you coat it with something tough. Fiberglass would be better, or thin rock like slate, but that will be heavy

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
I'd like to see what you end up building. I have RES turtles and thought about doing the samething.

Off topic: how long do those 3D backgrounds last?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store