Heating outdoor pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twillis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2013
Hi guys,

I just put in an outdoor pond for some red eared sliders I have that were quickly outgrowing their indoor tank. I am currently renting the home I am in so I had to keep the pond above ground and build a deck around it instead of actually putting it in the ground. I was trying to figure out the best way to keep the water heated throughout the winter. I live in Atlanta, GA so I don't have to deal with any extremely cold temps. I'm pretty sure the turtles would do fine though the winter as long as I keep it from freezing over, but I would like to keep it a little warmer than that.

I have been looking at pond de ices, but will that actually heat up the water much or just a small amount around it to keep the pond from freezing? Right now I have a 250w heat bulb on their basking spot I turn on when it gets chilly at night and they seem to enjoy it, but it does very little to effect the pond temp other than an inch or 2 of the water directly below. The pond was sold to me as a 250 gallon I believe it is a little larger than that.

Also on a side note I was thinking about putting comet or shubunkin goldfish in the pond with the turtles. I would love to have koi but I realize that pond is not large enough for them. Does anyone have any experience keeping those with sliders? As much as I would love to keep them with the turtles if it's to risky I would rather not. Thanks.

cstrohmeyer

AC Members
Jan 7, 2008
Grants Pass, Oregon
www.americanaquariumproducts.com
Real Name
Carl
I have used Titanium Heaters in many ponds under 500 gallon with good success.

These are not breakable the way glass/quartz heaters can be, especially with Turtles

I would not recommend comets or shubinkin in a pond of your size unless they are quite large, and even then I have had Red Ear Turtles take a bite out them.
I generally have kept turtles together with Goldfish or Koi in very large ponds, usually over 1500 gallons

This article might be helpful too:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/ClearPond.html#winter_care

HenryJordan

AC Members
Apr 24, 2014
hydra-aqua.com
Now Spring season is here. Hope you are enjoying with your pond and aquatics.
But always keep check on algal bloom because spring & summer are the seasons when algae growth is too rapid.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
btw how did not having to deal with extremely cold temperatures work out this year?

did your turtles survive?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store