Need advice on planting, potted dwarf hairgrass and Staurogyne repens.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Got my new plants and im kinda in shock ...The hair grass was potted which i didnt expect, and the repens were very tall not short like google gave me the idea of...

My substrate is flourite. I just stuffed the plants in the tank for the time being to get them in some light and out of the bags.

Whats the best way to go about planting these two plants and not killing them during seperation?

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
[video=youtube;XJHk6bbUwuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJHk6bbUwuE&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLAE44F4934D9F5A40[/video]

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
how do you know if your hairgrass is the low or high growing version? Are they the same and you just cut them to what you want?

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
low growing is called dwarf hair grass, put the prep and planting process is the same for both

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
weird because thats what i bought "dwarf hairgrass" and its like 4" tall from the top of the pot. seems super tall to me??

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
i believe the height of the dwarf hair grass is due to stretching. When light is far away plants will stretch to absorb it. If your light set up has a fair amount of PAR output at substrate level then you will begin to see the grass blades spread out and stay short.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
"Dwarf" hairgrass is simply a common name...4-5" is not uncommon IME for E. acicularis, although I've only tried it under what many would probably consider to be lower lighting. Different species can stay a bit shorter if I'm not mistaken. Manual trimming could be an option if you want to keep it shorter but I've found the thin-bladed leaves are a PITA if you get a lot of them floating around.

DHG is pretty hardy otherwise I'd say, so I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the plant. Seems people have it spread better when it is separated out.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
sigh....damnit....I think my flying fox's are eating my new plants.... i got blades of grass floating and to blyxa's as well...just my luck

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
ok seperated one pot of the hairgrass and planted it.. It WASSSSS doin ok...Except my Flying fox'es are tearing everything up...Apparently they love the taste of blyxa and the Repens...and their up rooting the hairgrass....I just cant win....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store