Fx5 producing bubbles.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEldqr31sY

I am about to drop kick this filter out the door. Any help is welcomed.
The list of things I have not done to fix this issue is shorter then what I have done. Changing the pump/housing is the only thing I have not done.
I have three of these filters.
Two have the same issues. The third filter I gave to a buddy.

I have contacted hagan with my issue and close my case every three days without a resolution. I have done everything asked by hagan, modified plumbing per their request modified media, re located inlet and return, and supplied pictures of my set ups.

I also have not found any modifications online that have solved the bubbles in my tank. My tank looks like a $1000 snow globe!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
My initial thinking is there might be seal issue. Hosing or other seals. Maybe try aquarium safe lube on all areas that may experience negative pressure?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Perhaps cavitation in the impeller? Are you restricting the flow at all? Try without any media. Still get bubbles?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
In my (admittedly fairly limited) experience with bubbles/canister filters, good priming eliminates the bubbles. The way I prime my AquaTop CF400UV is emphatically *not* the way they'll tell you to via phone, email or instruction packet, but it works better. Mine operates silently. Maybe (and I hope so, to save you from spending more money on fixing it) your problem is just that simple?

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
My initial thinking is there might be seal issue. Hosing or other seals. Maybe try aquarium safe lube on all areas that may experience negative pressure?
I have replaced all seal/gaskets and applied aquarium safe lube on everything. I have done this at least twice. Still have bubbles.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Perhaps cavitation in the impeller? Are you restricting the flow at all? Try without any media. Still get bubbles?
I am not restricting flow in any way. I have installed solid PVC plumbing, new hoses, a spray bar, factory return/inlet, and I am currently back to factory default with the exception of my return is not four foot away from my inlet. I had it set up that way but I reduced the hose length. I have removed almost all media. You name the media I have tried it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The FX5 has often had this as a complaint...the one I had left the door 3 weeks after getting it. Though it get rave reviews by many, and they swear by it, it isn't worth the hassle IMO. The clamping mechanism on the lid seems to be the most modified thing in the world, which is a story of its own. Toss in some auto shutdown/purge mechanism and it is an accident waiting to happen.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
The FX5 has often had this as a complaint...the one I had left the door 3 weeks after getting it. Though it get rave reviews by many, and they swear by it, it isn't worth the hassle IMO. The clamping mechanism on the lid seems to be the most modified thing in the world, which is a story of its own. Toss in some auto shutdown/purge mechanism and it is an accident waiting to happen.
I was one of those people who swore by them! One of the things that blows my mind is it's not happening with one but two. And at $230 a unit that's close to a 1000 bucks in filters not to mention all the media. I just paid for a wedding and a honey moon so I cannot afford to upgrade my filters right now.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I am tossing it! I am taking down the fx5 (I haven't looked army tank for two days because of the snow globe effect) and replacing it with... A hydor canister until I can afford an Ehime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store