NEED HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
alright i've done 7+ hrs of searching with mixed reviews on wither or not i should put a sump on my 75g display tank, i already know i want to as i dont run co2 yet and if i do it will be injected to the main tank anyways, only think im conflicted on is what size sump should i go with? i want to have a small area inside of the sump that will have a bit of sand and some java moss as a natural filter with light just curious what everybody thinks

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
here is the design i came up with, anybody with knowledge of sumps etc feel free to chime in and tell me what im doing wrong etc or how to improve designsump design.png

sump design.png

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
Yes is possible, is called refugium, most used in saltwater.
I not use java moss, use fast grow plants, like ceratophyllum and duckweed, great nitrate absorber.

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
im only hoping to achieve more water flow cleaner looking area an area to grow mosses and other plants, aswell as hide all my equipment i got a deal on a tank with metal stand today a 50g its 48x18 which is exactly what i was looking for 60$ for both tank and stand aswell as some other goodies etc, will post pictures as i go :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A sump won't really create more water flow--it just redirects the water flow. The same amount of flow can be created with powerheads or additional filters.

But, great for hiding equipment, and increasing volume and space. The size of the sump is really based on what you can support--I know someone who ran a 15 gallon sw setup with a 30 gallon sump. A 50 is a good size, and easy to light.

Regarding the design--you show 2 baffles on the left side. The 2nd baffle is higher than the first--this is going to result in a 'dead zone' at the bottom. The water will rise to the height needed to go over the top and flow straight over. Same with the last baffle on the right side--it should be lower than the one to it's left.

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
What I ment by more flow was through the filter media not in the display tank and that was just something I threw together in ms paint I have never designed a sump if you want you couldtake my design and alter it

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
What I ment by more flow was through the filter media not in the display tank and that was just something I threw together in ms paint I have never designed a sump if you want you couldtake my design and alter it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store