Stocking a C.A.R.E.S Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I am planning on starting two C.A.R.E.S tanks as my way of giving back to the hobby. C.A.R.E.S. is the term used for highly endangered or extinct in the wild fish. Anyway, I plan to set one tank up of Skiffia Francesae and wanted to know what other central american fish may be compatable? I plan on adding 8-10 female Least Killies and a male or two to create a natural live food chain in the environment. I know they can not hybredtize and have a tiny bioload. I am planning to use a 55gal, so I'll have a lot of room. I have worked with a number of different Goodieds over the years and find they become a little to hyper aggressive when kept in a single species tank. So please help me out here if you can.

If anyone else is interested, let me know as maybe we can work together. I really think this could become a new section, that is the least we can do.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Another goodeid species, perhaps? Most of the cichlids would be too big and eat the least killies pretty quickly.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Why not see if there's a local fish society with a c.a.r.e.s. program?

That way you could fill a potential gap in their program, and work to ensure that more species are being bred in the hobby.. It would also give you an outlet for the offspring that you rear also. Or are you volunteering to head up a program for Aquaria Central?

Personally I see a lot of Hippocampus listed as endangered or vulnerable... Why not try your hand at seahorses?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Why not see if there's a local fish society with a c.a.r.e.s. program?

That way you could fill a potential gap in their program, and work to ensure that more species are being bred in the hobby.. It would also give you an outlet for the offspring that you rear also. Or are you volunteering to head up a program for Aquaria Central?

Personally I see a lot of Hippocampus listed as endangered or vulnerable... Why not try your hand at seahorses?
I agree with the first part about finding a local club. Also if you are intending to start a program here in AC i think it would cool. But as for seahorses ive heard that they are fragile and not for the beginner hobbiest( not questioning anyone experience)
Either way id be interested in this if your serious. I was hoping to one day help repopulate my area of the native fish and plants, legally obviously.
You can PM me so we can discuss this topic a bit more if youd like :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Well,

I'm currently a member of 3 local not for profit aquarium societies currently participating in the program. I also just found out that I occasionally in a store that is a part of the program too.

So no, I don't think I'm going to run a program for Aquaria Central, but might participate if one was set up. It's much easier to donate and buy fish locally in person than trying to deal with shipping fish

If you're looking for a simple to breed C.A.R.E.S. fish, why not try your hand at the Vietnamese white cloud? of if you're looking for something easier still, one of the livebearers might fit the bill better.

If you want to know more, why not have a poke around their webpage, http://www.carespreservation.com/

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I love white clouds but unfortunately they dont sell them in MA because theyre illegal to own i believe( ill double check though) and thanks for link ill take a look :)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I love white clouds but unfortunately they dont sell them in MA because theyre illegal to own i believe( ill double check though) and thanks for link ill take a look :)

yup it's illegal, pretty sure you can get them in NH though

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Thanks for all the replies.

I have worked with Goodieds starting back in the 1980s. Since that time several types have become extinct in the wild and the majority are endangered. I have targeted the Skiffia Francesae as they don't seem to be responding to attempts to reintroduce them into what little is left of the native habitat. They are one of the least attractive of the group and I wanted to see if I could add another small C.A.R.E.S. fish to double the impact and get curb appeal. I have checked with my local aquarium society and there is no organizaed effort, although several members are working on such projects independently.

One thing a lot of folks don't know is Goodieds, most at least, make great dither fish for smaller cichlids. Several of the cichlids from the same areas are in the same status as the Goodieds. Goodieds are larger and more aggressive than domesticated livebeaers. They breed differently and fry are large.

My reason for suggesting, besides the obvious, if folks would be interested is in starting a subgroup / section / thread would be to establish a base of individuals to help breed and distribute the off spring. I was thinking on dedicating a kiddie pool to one species next summer and that could produce 100-150 fish. I would likely give them away if people are serious about the cause. So, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I also didn't know, until being told by my better half, that our goodieds will nibble at fingers too... it was quite the surprise :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store