Sunshine, I llike you but not on my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, the sun is lower on the horizon and we love the sunshine coming thru our south facing windows.
But it's going to wreck havoc on my main tank soon because it shines directly on it. I can just see algae
blooming everywhere if I don't do something soon. I can't/won't move the tank so that is not an option.
I have UV blocking film on the windows. Not sure if that will prevent algae. I can't cover the windows either
because we want the sun to shine in for warmth and the light it provides (the reason for having windows on
the south side of the house).

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

I can't put blind in front of the tank, the wife would never agree to that.
It shines on it for about 40 minutes right now, so maybe it'll be ok. Hope so.
I noticed the fish don't like it either, they're all hiding!
Any methods work
in this situation?

IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1602.JPG

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The fish will likely get used to it and be fine. So long as there isn't a large temperature swing, I'd just monitor and see if there's a problem with algae. Maybe alter your light schedule a bit if needed.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If the wife allows that cheap stand to be in that room, with all those bottles and junk showing, the least of her worries should be a blind on the tank. Bet she doesn't do windows....

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Wow Mr. Normal thanks for that bit of commentary. All that junk to you are goodies to me, especially my G6. Our tank may not be the prettiest but this is my daughter's tank and she loves it.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Sheila, thanks I may have to reduce my lights if I see a bloom happening.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hey, lighten up...the tank looks awesome.

Kenji

AC Members
Nov 4, 2013
The Netherlands
It shouldn't be much of a problem if it's just for 40 minutes. If it were the whole day, then it would be a problem.

And your tank looks great. Compliments!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks guys

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A very pretty tank! I have high windows too, but not that high, lol. I get green spot algae on the glass of the tank sun hits in the am before the lights go on (timer!) but like it for my hillstream loach/gobies. Another "afternoon" tank is starting to get cyano, after a spell of diatoms, but I'm not very good at remembering ferts & the flow could be better...That really white sand might show algae

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks fishorama, some here have made fun of our fake corals but we like it. Yeah, I'm worried about the algae getting into the pool filter sand. Hopefully the brief period of sunshine (morning) will not cause a problem. We shall see! Thanks for the compliment though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store