skinny clown loach please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Gallo

AC Members
Apr 10, 2004
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Visit site
One of my clown loaches is skinny around its head and kind of around its back but its stomach is bulgy so i think its been getting a stuff to eat but i dont know if it is enough. When i feed in the morning the skinny clown goes and starts eating and gets a little bit but soon my other clown chases it off and i dont know what to do? should i feed more? is my skinny clown going to die? please help.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central! Generally when the fishes bones show in the skull it means it has suffered severe tissue loss due to improper feeding or too little feeding. Sometimes by the time this happens it is too late, they are too far gone but not always. What are you feeding, what size tank, and is there a way you can seperate the two Clowns as one is being noticably nastier than the other? Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

Tyler Gallo

AC Members
Apr 10, 2004
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Visit site
Thanks for your help i have a 29 gal tank two clown and i used to feed really spaingly because my ammonia was high but now it is 0 so i will feed a little mor . i feed algae wafers and sinking wafers i am going to try a cucomber as soon as i can get one do you tink that is a good idea? well i think i can save him because he still eat so i will just give him alot of food and see if that helps the only way i could seperate the two clowns if i took one out i dont think i should do that. well thanks for your help and please reply back thanks alot!

Ozark Joe

AC Members
Apr 9, 2004
FishFlusher, WA
Visit site
My experience is that clowns like to be in groups of more than 3 just to feel borderline comfortable. Furthermore, once they get as sick as you described, it is next to impossible to get them to recover and gain their health. A nice rounded belly is a sign of a healthy clown loach; by the time it's as sunken in as you described, he's most likely a goner.
I would flush that poor guy and put him out of his misery, and replace him with a nice sized school of other clown loaches, 5 would be great if your tank can accomodate that many.
They also LOVE snails. If you could buy a plant with a ton of snails on it, and put that in the tank, if the sick one doesn't eat any, you know he's on the downhill slide.
I've never fed clown loaches cucumbers. My experience is cucumbers are more for plecostomus and plant-eaters.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
I wouldn't give up on your clown loach yet. Try either some frozen bloodworms or frozen shrimp and try to feed in two diffenent places so that he can get some food and the other won't bother.

Tyler Gallo

AC Members
Apr 10, 2004
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Visit site
it is only a liitle skinny around its head and skinny around its back but its stomach is normal round not caved in (bulgy) so do you think he will be ok now my tank wont hold 5 clown but it will hold three so i will get another one. thanks and please reply back

Ozark Joe

AC Members
Apr 9, 2004
FishFlusher, WA
Visit site
If it's just skinny around the head and tail, and it's been that way since you got it, that's one thing. It may be just genetically mutated a bit and that's the way it is. If, on the other hand, this skinniness around it's head and tail is new, that's a problem.

If the condition is new, it signals that something is wrong. I have no idea what disease would cause that, and therefore no way to suggest treating it.

Here are the basics on clown loach care; they like to be in schools of at least 3 (5 is better), plenty of hidey places, and they tend to not do well being transferred from one tank to another. In my opinion, if you provide these three things, it should thrive, they're pretty hardy fish. If not, and this skinniness becomes worse, or more noticeable, my best advice is to take it out and not let it infect the others, or spread whatever unknown wasting disease it sounds like it has.

Good luck!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
He could also have internal parasites as they will keep the fish eating but it never gets the nutrition it needs to keep it healthy. I would try soaking some food in Pipzine by Aquatronics and see if that helps any too. If he does have internal and you get rid of it he will make a full recovery. Anyway, hope this helps and hope he makes it :) .

Ozark Joe

AC Members
Apr 9, 2004
FishFlusher, WA
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how much does that internal medicine cost? I'm wondering if it is comparable to the price of a clown loach, especially when we are merely guessing as to what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store