My LED light just crapped out...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, after 5 months my cheap Beamworks "Hi lumen" 30" LED stopped working. After the first month, the little power adapter crapped out and I replaced that with an extra one I had. Then about 3 months ago, I wasn't satisfied with the amount of light it was putting out so I boosted the light output which made the unit run pretty warm. Was thinking of adding optional fans like the Quad version has now. But oh too late! I must have fried a connection in the circuit board... (all lights are out)

That's ok, I'm wasn't too happy with this light anyway. But I noticed that the double bright quad version are 10K lights which I don't think are appropriate for plants and may create a washed out look for my tank. So I just order the Fluval Daylight Aqualife & Plant LED Aquarium Lamp. It says it's full spectrum for plants and enhancing the colors of a freshwater tank. I'm hoping it is a big step up from my previous lights and should be way better than 10K leds that I was considering.

I hope my plants will be ok limping along with my light backup Marineland hidden light bar that my kit came with. I might have to setup a CFL bulb on top since my new lights may not arrive for a week or two (free shipping is slow...)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The Fluval is a nice looking fixture. I see Petco has the 24"-34" length on sale for $174.99 with free shipping. Yikes.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The Fluval is a nice looking fixture. I see Petco has the 24"-34" length on sale for $174.99 with free shipping. Yikes.
Kinda pricey for 25w, I paid the same amount for my 120w led fixture, but 25w is probably about all most planted setups in that size range need assuming they're using quality LED's.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
EBay has it for $120, ships free

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, I just got it working again!!!

My curiosity about how these lights are made me take it apart this evening.

Where is what it looks like after taking it all apart. There really aren't that may pieces.

IMAG1009.jpg

And what surprised me was the back side of the LEDs... nothing

IMAG1010.jpg

I was expecting some wiring back here. Absolutely nothing.
Turns out that the DC power connection broke. The heat must have softened the solder...

IMAG1011.jpg

These should have better connectors than this. And the wires are so small. Guess this is what you get in a knock off brand.

Anyway, I soldered it back in place.

IMAG1013.jpg

And what do you know, it's working again!!!

IMAG1014.jpg

And BTW, every project goes better with Coors... :)

IMAG1009.jpg IMAG1010.jpg IMAG1011.jpg IMAG1013.jpg IMAG1014.jpg

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Those are Odysea lights right? They're built pretty cheaply I ended up rewiring my T5 fixture from them was wired up with to thin of gauge. If you're going to keep running I'd consider adding a pc fan and a couple ventilation holes.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Congrats! The spirit of America isn't dead, its good to see someone who looked for the problem rather than throw it away.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
These are Beamswork lights. Yeah, I'm a "retired" electrical engineer so fixing and tinkering is still in my blood. Since I already ordered a replacement I probably will use this for moon lighting in this tank. Then there won't be any issues with the heat any more.

Actually, overheating is my fault because I'm using 17 volts instead of factory spec 12 volts to crank out lots more light from this unit.

I'm curious what the voltage is on the Fluval I just bought.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Great fix! Thanks for posting the pics. I was curious to see what those units looked like inside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store