Heating 2 tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I am curouse say you have 2 betta tanks but only one heater, is it posible to heat both with only 1 heater?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Only if you circulate the water between the two tanks. Not an easy task. Easier to get a tank devider.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks tanker
Hmm i see your point,
I wanted to get 2 bettas but even the little heaters meant for betta tanks are not all that cheap, the lowest ive found is $13.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Never buy a cheap heater....it will burn you in the end....

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I know this probably wouldnt work, but just theoreticly,
if you put your 2 betta tanks together touching (with something opaque between them so they dont get stressed) and something that conducts heat as well between the two tanks, could that transfer heat from one with a heater to one with out?
Would it even be worth experamenting?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I know this probably wouldnt work, but just theoreticly,
if you put your 2 betta tanks together touching (with something opaque between them so they dont get stressed) and something that conducts heat as well between the two tanks, could that transfer heat from one with a heater to one with out?
Would it even be worth experamenting?
Theoretically... yes. You just have to drop the r factor as much as possible. Id imagine one may be a bit cooler than rhe other.

It would prolly be easier to have them side by side, and have one slightly raised to overflow into the other

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
By no means am I well versed in the realm of heat transfer...but I don't see that being the most efficient option.

What size tanks? What's the room temp? What's the desired water temp?

I spent about $15 on a heater for my 5.5 (25w) and I've found it to work well. Like Rb said, I wouldn't skimp on heaters...

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I would check CL and see if anyone is selling heaters. I bought 2 preset heaters at $5 each.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
I agree with Tanker. A divider in the tank will be best and you can heat 1 tank with 2 betta. Maybe you can put some plants either real or fake next to the divider so they don't see each other. Just make sure the tank is big enough for both fish. A 10 gallon would be great like that each fish would have 5 gallons to itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store