Urgent mystery: what could be stressing my betta???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Prerttyfish

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2013
Greetings, and thanks to aquariacentral for being such a great resource for fish keepers everywhere!

I am keeping bettas again, and am having a problem with one of them! I recently acquired a beautiful red copper and black halfmoon, and transferred him to a 2 gallon heated, filtered, cycled tank. Since putting him in there (5 days ago) he's shown worsening signs of stress, and I am totally unable to explain it- I've considered every possible cause! I see no sign of infection or disease, but his face is badly striped 80% of the time and his tail is beginning to fray. He is still curious and lively, in fact sometimes he swims spastically as though something in the water is bothering him, but as you'll see below, I've ruled out all the usual suspects. I feel sure he will continue to deteriorate fast unless I address the cause of his discomfort/agitation.

2 gallons
0.5 teaspoon aquarium salt added concurrent with fish (5 days ago)
tank is a constant 79 degrees
filtration is a small DIY sponge filter - no current to speak of, and only a faint humming noise
AM=0/NI=0/NA=negligible/pH 7.6+
Tankmates: none
Substrate: none - bare bottom hex tank with a piece of white pvc for a hiding place.

Troubleshooting so far:

• His bright LED lights are not the problem, as two days of ambient light only has not improved him
  • I ran a small hob filter with brand new chemi-pure for an hour to rule out the possibility of contaminants - no improvement.
  • I blocked the line of sight between his tank and the tank of my second betta (who is thriving) in case they were spotting eachother too often. This has made some improvement in his manic swimming, but his stripes are still bad.
  • Started him on Kanaplex last night to rule out some kind of pathogen. In other cases of bacterial/fungal affliction this has produced immediate results, but I see no improvement in him thus far.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I do feel sure I will loose him if I can't solve the mystery. :(

Thanks so much for your help and support!

Prerttyfish

Prerttyfish

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2013
I put him in the day after it tested perfect (I did a fishless cycle with safe-start), and continued to monitor the water parameters closely for the next couple of days. No problems.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Seems like there is something about the tank he doesn't like. Can you switch tanks with your other betta and see how he does?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'd find another tank at least for now as the stress will take its toll and you will likely lose him.

petspoiler

AC Members
Dec 20, 2011
Suggestions to try:
1. check for stray electrical current, if nothing else, unplug the heater first & see if he relaxes.
2. if no improvement, turn off the filter for a while to see if he is uncomfortable with it, or the humming. I haven't had problem with humming before, but an occasional long finned fish can dislike any water disturbance.
3. why no substrate at all? Maybe a light sprinkling of sand to soften the bottom's appearance & eliminate reflection there.
4. broad long-leaf plants, artificial are fine. bettas feel sheltered amongst them & lay on leaves nearer the top when resting.
5. add some small non-nipper type of schooling tetras. enough so they focus within their own group, not on him.

Good luck.

Prerttyfish

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2013
Thank you so much for the responses and ideas.

I am actually in the process of setting up a different tank for him (don't want to give him my little dragon plakat's tank because that fish is blooming and healthy and I don't want to mess with any part of his world).

Stray electrical current is something I've never considered. The only thing it could be is the heater, as his filter runs off an external air pump. I'll definitely investigate.

The reason there's no substrate at the moment is that the tank design is a work in progress. I'm planning an unusual setup, and I wanted to make sure the fish was healthy and well-adjusted before I start adding things that could complicate the picture. From what I hear, many people (especially breeders) keep bettas in plain tanks with no ill-effect, but maybe I'll add some temporary plants to see if it helps. Very good point about the possible reflectivity of the bottom, too, although he seems to spend most of his time up and down the sides. I'll look into it.

He seems to have stabilized a bit since I blocked my other fish from view and dosed him with KanaPlex, his tail is the same as yesterday and his face, though still not coal-black, is not so striped. I don't think the problem is solved, but I'm glad he's not continuing to get worse.

Will keep working on it and post back if anything changes! :huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store