New Fantail Brought Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

animefangz

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2013
I bought a new fish from Walmart to keep my other lonely fair fish company. The fish is really nice, they became good friends, but it turns out the Walmart fish had Ich.

I've been looking up how to take care of this, but a lot of them say to use a dissolved fish salt thing and raise the water temperature. However, I don't have a heater or the salt! I can go out and get the salt today, but I live in the middle of no where and have no idea where I could get a heater. I checked and Walmart only has crappy heaters w/ one star ratings.

Has anyone had any experience with getting rid of ich? The two goldfish are one comet goldfish (the fair fish) and one calico fantail goldfish (the one who most likely brought in the ich). They live in a 30 gallon tank, it has one live plant, and we also bought two snails at the time we bought the fantail fish.

If anyone can help me, please do. My parents are in a DGAF attitude and most likely wont try to help them! These fish are awesome, nice, and beautiful. Please help me by giving me specific instructions.

Also, this is the beginning of the third day of being infected with ich (as far as I know). I realized they were infected last night. The fish was acting weird two days ago by laying on the floor. I assumed he had eaten too much (My cousin has been feeding them the last two days) So I gave them squished, boiled peas...However, today he was just as bad so I looked a lot closer and noticed the small white dots. And here I am.

Again, please help me with this...I really wanted these fish to be able to live their lives out for a long, long time. And the one fair fish isn't even a year old yet. :(

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You can use table salt. It works just fine, and will not harm the fish. Salt alone will be enough to kill the parasite, but you will need to keep it in the tank for longer to ensure full treatment. I'd start adding the salt now, and remember to replace salt remove in water changes, and keep the medicinal levels for at least 2 weeks past the last visible signs.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
you also need to test your water.your tank is overstocked.you need to do 75% water changes atleast once a week. i would either get a 75 gallon tank or rehome the fair fish.they are pond fish and can get over a foot long. treat your water with salt and vacuum the gravel well every 3-4 days. you will need to treat for up to 14 days. fish get ich from bad water conditions.you should always quarantine new fish. i understand if you do not want to get rid of the fish,or can not afford to upgrade. just keep in mind that you will have a stunted fish and it probably will not last the 20+ years that they are supposed to live.you will also have to do twice as many water changes than with a properly stocked tank.

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Ich is a parasite; in this case it seems to have been introduced via a lack of quarantine of a fish carrying the parasite. It doesn't just live in bad water.

As far as heaters, try online. The prices are typically lower than available locally, and that'll offset the shipping costs.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Ok, here is what I do. Use 1 tbs solar salt or pure salt like that for a water softener and get a space heater. Heat the room to 82-84 for four days with the salt in the water. Once you do a water change of 50%, at the end of the first week, add 2 more tbs salt. The salt will not hurn the gold fish and it will kill off the ich. Ich has to detach and go to the bottom to reporduce. It hates heat and doesn't reproduce well if at all and salt kills it. Salt water is heavier than fresh so it sinks.

As for the tank size, yes you are over stocked. If you plan to hold these guys in a 30gal, you need a canister filter rated for a 100-125gal tank and a HOB with carbon pads. You will still have to do 30-50% water changes weekly. I'd add a sponge, but you only have so much room in a 30gal. I'd be watching craigslist for a larger tank.

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
Quarantine or medicated fish baths are a good way to prevent ich

Here are a few stressors that are often missed that can make it easier for an Ich infestation to start:

• Sudden drops in temperature.
  • Stress caused by transfer of a fish from one tank to another.
  • Stress from other fish chasing or bothering another.
  • Stress from high ammonia/nitrites.
Equally important stressors that are often forgotten:

• Stress from improper electrolytes (resulting in poor osmoregulation in fish); this is a very important stressor that is easily corrected but often forgotten.
This is also noteworthy since many Ich Medications are less toxic and and more effective when used in an environment with mineral cations present and a pH above 7.2, which for goldfish is also better

• Stress from poor immunity caused by poor diet and poor Redox
Please also reference this article:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Ich.html

animefangz

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2013
Sorry for not replying in so long. I bought a cheap walmart filter...it wasn't cheap...just a crappy heater >_>. Either way the heater only heats it to a preset temperature or 78 + or - 2; The outside temperature thing I have says its at 78. Either way, I added the aquarium salt by dissolving it then slowly adding it, did water changes, and now my fish look great! I know I can't stop the treatment yet, but I'm so happy that they don't have the white dots and aren't looking sickly while laying on the floor!

It has been a week since this happened, and the fact that they look so much better makes me so happy! As for the size of the tank, don't worry; I have every intention of getting them the best of the best. 30 gallon is just what I had available when I got the fair fish. I just wanted to give an update.

I also want to know how long I continue the treatment after the last signs of ich are gone. I have heard some say 4 days, a week, and some said a month...anyone have a "specific" number?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
At 78, I'd give it a full 4 weeks. At lower temps, the life cycle of the parasite is slower, so the longer treatment period is needed to ensure all parasites are killed off. Going shorter risks reinfection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store