need help with starting a planted 36 gallon bow front aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tay

AC Members
Nov 13, 2013
I have a gecko tank I'm going to convert back in to a fish tank. It's a 36 gallon bow front. I've always wanted to try a planted aquarium but didn't know really where to start. I don't want plants that are too difficult. I really like the looks of aquariums that have tall densely packed java ferns. I still don't know how many WPG I need if i just want java ferns. I'd probably stock it with an angelfish, 10-15 tetras, and some bottom feeders. I'd be happy for some input from people who know what there doing.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I have a gecko tank I'm going to convert back in to a fish tank. It's a 36 gallon bow front. I've always wanted to try a planted aquarium but didn't know really where to start. I don't want plants that are too difficult. I really like the looks of aquariums that have tall densely packed java ferns. I still don't know how many WPG I need if i just want java ferns. I'd probably stock it with an angelfish, 10-15 tetras, and some bottom feeders. I'd be happy for some input from people who know what there doing.
For java fern you can get away with just 1 standard T-8 6,500k bulb. It'll probably be 25w or so which is fine for low light plants like java fern and java moss. You won't likely get that dense look like you're after tho but it will keep them alive and slowly growing. If you want a dense forest of java fern you'll want to use a T-8 6,5000k bulb or two, some kind of planted tank substrate like Eco-Complete or Florite, and dose with Seachem Excel. You won't need CO2. Java fern doesn't seem to respond to it at all.

Also think about using multiple plant species as single species planted tanks tend to look somewhat bland to most ppl.

Good luck! Keep us posted with details as you go. If you have any other more specific questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Tay

AC Members
Nov 13, 2013
Now what about if I want to add an amazon sword. I planned on using eco-complete and adding co2 or am i going to need root tabs too for the sword. And do you have any ideas for a foreground plant that would cover like grass but not too tall.

Last edited:

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Glossostigma is awesome for foreground/ground cover, but like most carpet plants, it requires higher lighting to remain low. It gets leggy in med/low light. It's a new fave of mine for sure! It's less patchy than grasses

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tay

AC Members
Nov 13, 2013
That is a very nice plant but my water is hard. The evidence is on the walls of my tank lol. And to even get 2.5 to 3 WPG I'll have to have like 2) 48watt setups.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Now what about if I want to add an amazon sword. I planned on using eco-complete and adding co2 or am i going to need root tabs too for the sword. And do you have any ideas for a foreground plant that would cover like grass but not too tall.
If you want a nice ground cover and plan on dosing ferts and utilizing CO2 I'd suggest this fixture: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23753&pcatid=23753 It's also expandable if you want more light.
As long as you're using a good plant substrate you won't need to use tabs.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Tay

AC Members
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for that link that was exactly what I was looking for. And I was doing some searching and I came across the dwarf chain sword. If what I have read is true it only grows to about 2-2.5 inches and cover nicely with medium to high light.

Last edited:

Tay

AC Members
Nov 13, 2013
I still don't know all the plant lingo. What plants do you mean by sags.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store