Brown Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
Hi All!

This is my first planted tank of 125x45x65 total 365 liters. I have 3x Aqua Zonic Super Sun 12000K, 1x Aqua Zonic Actinic Blue, 1x Aqua Zonic Tropical Pink lights. I suppy CO2 as needed. My tank is 15 days old with few plants and fish. For the last 5 days brown algae appeared on the leaves of the plants and the rocks. What may be causing it and how can I get rid of it?

Thanks.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sounds like diatoms, its like brown dust? It happens in new tanks and clears up on its own in a couple weeks.

Though your lighting will grow plants you'll likely see some better results if you replace the 12000k with 6500k

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
All of the lights are 39W btw a total of 195W which meets 0.5W per liter. All my plants are low-tech. What is the function of Actinic Blue? The shop recommended it. I know pink promotes plant growth.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Its debatable if actinics do much for plant growth, they're meant for reef tanks to help promote coral growth. I think most people who run them in freshwater do so because the blue shade of lighting appeals to them.

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
Thanks for answers. I switched my lamps as follows:

2× 54W OSRAM 2700K
2× 54W Sylvania Grolux
1× 54W OSRAM 6000K

See what happens. Will keep posted.

ArleneHarper

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2013
I have used 2× 54W OSRAM 2700K for my tanks and it was just awesome. I give the enough light and also looks good.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Sounds like diatoms to me too... As others have said, they should clear up soon. I am currently dealing with them in my newest tank; they are absolutely annoying but after three weeks of being in full "bloom" I was looking tonight and "maybe" they are starting to trail off.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
what are you using for water? sounds like Diatoms, and they love tap water. even with tap they should clear up soon, it happens to most new tanks, just part of the cycle
good luck
Ben

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Ditch the 2700s. I know you received this advice, but its not good advice. 2700 are "cool white" bulbs and wont grow anything. They are the most common cheapest type of florescent bulb and if we could get away with it we wouldn't be spending $5-$10-$20 each if we could spend 50 cents. They don't work. Lower Kelvin temperatures on the redder end of the scale tend to induce flowering behavior and make leafy growth more straggly with longer stems. They are just as useless as actinic and will not promote plant growth. You want to be in the 5,000-10,000 range for leafy growth, 5,500-6,700 is ideal. Outside of that only your personal viewing preference matters because they are not helping your plants. The guy at the fish store sold you what a reef keeper would want, not a planted tank keeper. I'm sorry you keep getting bad information :(

Diatoms are common in any new tank set up. Ottos will chow down on the stuff and if you are in a hurry and don't mind keeping them long term its a pretty quick solution. I know we say "new tank" syndrome, it will go away on its own- but that could take 6-8 weeks depending on the tank.... I don't know if you want to be that patient and in the mean time it can smother more demanding plants. If you went all out and bought the good stuff for the new tank go grab some ottos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store