Need advice on 55 gal planted tank..-I SUCK...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Alright ive been at this for a year now, and so far have failed miserably. My tank is a 55 gallon-48" wide, maybe 12=14" deep.

Lighthing- 2x t5HO (only using one bulb right now to prevent crazy algae growth) Time is set to 8 hours of light a day
Substrate-Flourite
Additives- Excel dosing every day.

FISH: Flying Foxes, Neon tetras, Red eye tetras and black skirts. a few oto's

PLANTS:
java moss -HEALTHY
Dwarf hair (tall stuff)- Not healthy- think its being eaten
Staurogyne repens- look ok color wise- clearly being eaten.
Blyxa- eaten
amazon sword- no new growth

I think that the Flying foxes mightbe eating the plants... :( bought these fish to mop up on old BBA problems when i had both t5 lights on.

Any suggestions to the setup?

USED TO BE LIKE THIS

NOW LIKE

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How much glutaral (excel) are you dosing?

I've got the same setup; A 55g, w/ twin tube T5HO that I run 6-7hrs a day. I dose a glutral product that is about twice the concentration of excel, etc, and still dose about 5mL/day. Algae is very minimal and my plant growth is such that I have to trim my wisteria and water sprite quite often. My anubias nana and java fern grow very slowly.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
wonder if i should add the other t5 light. Last time i did this had got super bad BBA

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I like the setup! Nice looking tank. If your algae is under control, it sounds like you've got a decent light/carbon balance going on. Most of my plants are basic water column feeders (not big rooters), but here's how it looks as of today:

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Well i had to do a HUGE tank cleanup and got these flying foxe's they were amazing at cleaning BBA...but i lost half of the java moss i had on the rocks...Trying to get a carpet going and now i think these foxes are eating them >.< ...Afraid to add the second light because of the algae lol

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
yeah the flying foxes were eating my plants, I dont have another tank to put them in. I would hate to get rid of them, they are miracle algae/BBA workers. But their destorying all the plants i just bought and not giving them a chance to grow...

This is whats left now. notice the width and thickness of the grass.

The culprit:

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Ohh, you don't suck.. I know exactly what I am doing, have 8 years of experience keeping multiple tanks (sometimes as many as 11 at a time) and my tanks are often a disaster, lol. You just lack the nerve to give your plants what they need-

I posted on your other thread regarding the fying foxes eating your plants- they are likely innocent of the charges!

I have some scary advice for you- as Yoda says, do or do not, there is no try.

Crank the lights, both tubes 8 hours a day. one tube 6 hours a day cant keep anything alive BUT algae and even that will suffer...
maintain excel or substitute- start a dosing regime of Potasium nitrate and micros at least, phosphate if your tap water needs it and get some fast growing stems- anything- just temporarily to use up excess nutrients while your plants get established. They cant grow with the amount of light you are running now, but there simply isn't enough plant mass- if you crank everything, like you need to- there is so much open space that alage can grow on and it will- that has to change. As the species you want grow in, get rid of the nutrient and light sink the stems will provide during the adjustment.

You can do it!

If your plants don't get adequate lighting and ferts they will ALWAYS struggle- if they are struggling, algae will always be trying to take over...

You have to do it all the way and handle the algae as it comes- but if you give your plants what they need, it will be short lived and you have a tank full of cleaners to help you out, you are poised for sucess

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
as per question in other post about moving the plants- you want to get them as close to as much light as you can- Im not sure how your 10 is lit- so I cant say for sure.

Sometimes if you have a plant that's not growing well, it makes sense to let them float- let them get right up 2" away from the light so they can take in the rays, they bend, but will straighten out (eventually) once you replant. Your fish will pull some of it up anyway until it gets established so you might as well leave some up top and see if it works.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Def worth a shot. Im lost at this point lol.

So just use a stem plant like anacharis to soak all the extra up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store