Building Large Planted Aquarium/Terrarium/Paludarium 10x11 feet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
Hi construction of my dream large planted tank + terrarium has started..its a part of our living room in our new home(under construction).lit by natural sunlight..looking forward for ur valuable suggestions..posting pics below
Details : the length of tank would be 10 feet
width would be 11 feet(total water area + land)....
height of water area -3 feet

Water area (front area) - 7 feet on right side, 4 feet on left side...total 3500L approx..

Towards back planning terrestrial plants, block on left side for filter chamber...backside would be filled with large rocks, ferro cement work with space for plants in between .....and waterfall from the height of filter chamber

Water area planned to be filled with hardy plants + large driftwood protruding out of water....

Work starting nxt week...hoping for ur suggestions
vivarium2.jpg
vivarium3.jpg
vivarium1.jpg

vivarium2.jpg vivarium3.jpg vivarium1.jpg

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
ya the front would be 19mm toughen glass...water wld be taken to filter chamber via a submersible pumb...pumbed back as waterfalls....the tank would be getting sunlight during daytime through glass top...hope the plants both above and below water can survive using natural sunlight...

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Nice! What are your thoughts for critters? I've always like the Monterey Bay Aquarium's big setups (similar to yours). A saltwater tide pool setup would be awesome, but it sounds like you want freshwater ya?

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
ya im mor intrstd in freshwater set up...btw can u provide me some link to citters...is it some kind of creeper....thn thinking of adding diff types of ferns may b smaller palms too....

DarkCrow

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
Denver, CO
Very envious, I'd love to be in your shoes.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I meant critters in more of a general sense as opposed to anything in particular. Your setup would be kinda cool for turtles, but they might seriously wreak havoc on many types of plants as well as fish. You could maybe try some crabs, but again those may snack on some fish/plants plus they have the possibility of getting out. If the water level was low enough, maybe some frogs? I'm not sure how well they can climb concrete though or how far the back of the tank is to the front (ie, is it within jumping distance for a determined little bugger). Chameleons MAY be another possibility depending on the temps/humidity of your house, but I'm not 100% how/if you could provide enough living space NOT directly over water. Many of the things I suggested may not work, I'm just kinda thinking out loud (or at least by typing haha). Freshwater stingrays would be cool, too...

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Wow, that's one big project! Good luck and we look forward to seeing it's progress.

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
hi..some updates
the side walls and backsides were drilled and steel rods inserted, the rods were connected using another rods to create shape as seen below...these would be later covered with mesh nets and ferro cement poured in and out creating rock shapes and potholes for planting terrestrial plants....the rocks would be further shaped with craftsmanship (not me) to get a look of real rock/mountain (pic u can see below, painting remaining )

work1 (5).jpg
work1 (3).jpg
work1 (2).jpg
ferrowork.jpg

work1 (5).jpg work1 (3).jpg work1 (2).jpg ferrowork.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store