My Tank Looks Like A Troll...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
GREEN HAIR! I got a nice patch of green hair algae (GHA) with the purchase of some bolbitis (listed as huedelotti, but it's heteroclita) I bought from an un-named source. Anyway, I had a crazy storm cloud of GHA that I manually removed after I saw my red cherry shrimp couldn't come close to controlling it. It seemed like it was pretty much gone and one day... B(L)OOM! It was a big hairy mess again!

I don't want to spread it to my other tanks, and there are plants in there that need to be moved out. Any suggestions for ridding myself of this hairy mess? I just can't stomach a total system breakdown.

I do have 3 SAE that are munching on it, but it's quite a lot for even them. I've switched to a 5-4-5 on-off-on lighting schedule since I had to set the timer clocks back for DST anyway. Maybe I should give it some time? Should I manually remove it again? Should I just name it a valid troll name and embrace it?

Water parameters are pretty much perfect surprisingly. My plants are loving the schedule!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
At east by pulling out as much as you could manually, you'll give your shrimpies and SAE's a fighting chance to keep it under control now,

Mad Mardigan

Registered Member
Nov 15, 2011
I bought a dozen Amano shrimp and 1 true algae eater to decrease the algae problem in my neighbors tank last year....He is still tanking me for it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Funny, FF!

I would love to get some Amanos, but I seem to be having a hard time keeping shrimp alive in this tank. As I discussed with MGamer in PM, there must be a problem I haven't figured out yet because nothing obvious is wrong. I need to test for heavy metals I guess (as he suggested) but that would wipe out snails too, and I have lots of those! Other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store