The worlds largest steam locomotive lives again *pics*

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Whats going on guys,

As far as hobbies go, ive worn a lot of hats, one of them was model trains. Anyone who has ever dabbled in model trains or have just had a fascination of trains in general knows the worlds largest steam engine is Union Pacific's 4-8-8-4 dubbed the " Big Boy ". For those who dont know anything about them, this particular locomotive was made in 1941 and pulled trains weighing over 3,200 tons through the roughest terrain rail has ever been laid on. The locomotive and tender weigh 1,250,000lbs ( 566,990.5 kilograms for those across one pond or another ).

Well over 50 years ago when steam was replaced with diesel, Union Pacific donated one of their big boys to a railway museum just a skip, a hop and a jump away from my house, and i have visited this museum many times growing up, and was able to climb all over it, a little kids dream. Union Pacific has reacquired this donated locomotive with the intention of doing a ground up restoration and is going to get this true monster breathing again.

If you are interested in reading an article about this, here is one for you.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/genera...boy-locomotive-to-depart-pomonas-train-museum

So tomorrow it leaves for its trip to Wyoming where it will be torn apart and built back up to live for another 75 years. Before it left, i wanted to make sure i got down there and was able to say goodbye to it, a surprisingly emotional experience...

Anyway, here are some of the pics i took with my new fancy camera, if you are interested in full 20.4 megapixel versions of any of these pictures just send me a PM and ill be happy to email it to you.

enjoy guys!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
What a wonderful post, I appreciate the great pics and info. Learn something new everyday I guess!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Pretty big for a 4-banger. Lol
Cool story. Thanks for sharing. There's a nice locomotive museum in Sac too. I always enjoyed going when I was young. I got to go for the first time since I was a kid 2 years ago. Still really cool.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im not into trains but pulling 3,200 tons... Man, horsepower doesnt come into play anymore. Its probably measured in kilawatts(?)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store