Geophagus Help - Compatibility, tank size, etc

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sendthis

AC Members
May 16, 2011
So I'm not a newbie to the aquarium hobby. I normally keep Discus, freshwater inverts, rare plecos, and some other random stuff.

Anyway, my wife asked me to setup a tank for the kids and I didn't want anything too expensive, community ifsh, and with water parameters similar to Discus (in case I needed a quick place to store Discus temporarily).

It so happened that TBAS was having an auction. I didn't know about it until last minute so I didn't have time to do proper research. Now, I'm a bit overstock and I want to make sure I can take care of it ASAP.

Anyway, I have a 90G with an AC110, sand bottom. I can add a second AC, sponge and/or Cannister filter as needed. Since I'm used to raising Discus, I also have the equipment and patience to do quick daily WC (to address some of the overstock issues). Using tap and plan to keep to that.

So at the auction I went a little overboard... I also got a little scared I wasn't going to get my "red heads" so I started bidding on all the Geos.

1 Geophagus brasiliensis - 2 inches (the other one died during transport)
4 Geophagus heckelii - 2 inches
3 'wild' rams - 1 inch
3 Geophagus 'Red Hump' steindachneri - 2 inches
6 Geophagus 'Red Head' Tapajos - 1 inch
6 Rainbow cichlids - 1 inch, separate tank at the moment but was considering putting them in
5 Corydora paleatus - breeding colony (wanted sterbais, but at least got these cheap), separate tank but hope to put them in

I really wish I hadn't bought all the geos (with the exception of the red heads --- which is what I went there for). So based on the feedback here, I'm probably going to get rid of the rest. Although I do like the Red Hump as well.

I also got the rainbow cichlids cheap... not sure why I bought them. I remember years ago they caught my eye and I raised my paddle on impulse.

Anyway, I was reading the brasiliensis are a little aggressive. So I might have to remove it. I can't tell the difference between the brasiliensis and the heckelii, so I might take them all out.

I know the tank is overstocked (or will be) so I'm going to remove the ones that is recommended ASAP. I had 3 QTs (two 20G and one 90G) setup when I got home but all the Geos came from the same seller (except one group) so I went ahead and mixed those along with the rams. The 90G is my kid's tank but since it had no fish made no difference.

Any advice/comments?

sendthis

AC Members
May 16, 2011
I also have a spare 55G I can setup really quick to address overstocking, comapbility, or any other issues you can think of...

Thanks in advance.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Acarichthys heckelli (Threadfin Acara or Geophagus heckelli) are an extremely attractive fish. I keep a colony of 9 of them in a 120 gallon tank pretty much by themselves. They get pretty large (at least 9") so you could keep those 4 in the 55 if you wanted.

Brasiliensis do get more aggressive so I would probably find a new home for that fish. They have similar body shapes but the coloration of these two fish is quite different so you should be able to tell them apart.

Steindachneri and rams are both smaller species so you should be able to keep them together. I would not keep the rams with the Red Heads.

Andy

sendthis

AC Members
May 16, 2011
OKay, thanks. There isn't a very active freshwater fish community here... but if I can't get rid of them, I just picked up a 65 gallon I can house some of them in as well.

Can the Red Heads be kept with the heckelli?

I've always wanted geophagus, but I went a little overboard :p

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Andy- you're thinking of apistogramma steindachneri, not geophagus- Seem Steindacherner discovered a LOT of fish and put his name on many of them.

Obviously the rams have to be moved because they are the only dwarf species on your list and are quite peaceful shy fish. They do well with discus, why not keep them in your own tank? They stay really litlte and wont bother anyone.

For the rest of them, I'd give it time, see who's making trouble, and address it as it comes. Clearly they cant all stay, but for now they can and you may find that as time goes on your change your mind about which you like best. RIght now they are all small, you have months to decide.

Im not sure how your tank is set up from an "interior design" standpoint, lol, but breaking up sight lines with hardscape or plants makes a huge difference in acceptable stocking levels that will live peacefully.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
No I am not confusing the two. Male Geophagus steindachneri will top out at 6" but females are considerably smaller. Compared to Geophagus in the altifrons complex like Red Head Tapajos, G. altifrons, etc... and Acarichthys heckelli they are a smaller species.

Having kept both rams and G. steindachneri together in the past I do not think you will have any problem if the tank has a moderate amount of cover for the rams to hide in. But I do agree that they would look better in their own tank.

Andy

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Rams are generally accepted to be Microgeophagus- topping out well under 3", many at less than 2 and are inappropriate for ALL of their larger cousins listed as current tankmates regardless of which species of "Wild ram" they actually turn out to be.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Got to agree with Turbo on this one - I also don't think the Rams should have to live life in 'cover' hiding for their safety. What kind of life is that? How bad would it suck if you went to your office building every day and had to take cover all day because your co-workers were looking to kick your teeth in if they saw you? Just my thoughts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store