Glass Canopy question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trigiver01

Follow HIM and be fishers of men!
Dec 16, 2008
Alachua County, FL
Hello everyone,
I have a "tall" 60 gallon freshwater tank with a 48" x 12" footprint. I got it as a set, and it included the classic two black hinge-front canopies with the glass in the middle to accommodate the tub-style fluorescent bulbs. I ditched those because they were only 15w each and wouldn't support plant life...let alone even light the tank enough to see. I replaced them with one 48" T5HO system that sits over the top.

Now, I'd like to replace the two original black plastic/glass canopies with an all-glass one (or two). The tank has a center support on the top, so two glass canopies are more likely.

I also use two HOB filters for the tank, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reliable brand of glass canopy that would be compatible with HOB filters.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You can have a Glass company cut some glass to the exact size. Cheaper then a canapy.

Nuro

AC Members
Oct 26, 2010
I would just do plexiglas from a hardware store, should cost around $35 and if you know how to cut it you can make the hole for the filter.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Glass is better when you're going to have lighting in close proximity. Glass won't distort if it gets warm, plexi will. Measure the opening and see what will fit, possibly canopies for 10 gallon setups will fit?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Probably a pair of 24" versa tops, depending on the brace.

It's likely the same footprint as a standard 55 tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
glass std 24" like dougall mentioned they typically are cut to allow for HOB filters and use plastic filler strips which can be cut to fit.
..btw, plexi or acrylic prob won't work as it would need a frame or something for reinforcing..(I test this and it will flex over time.) also with with lighting glass may work more to your advantage.
you can also look to get cut glass but check cost as I've discovered it is sometimes more expensive.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Trig- I've got a pair of 24" glass Aqueon Versa-Tops on my 55g (also 48"x12"). Not attaching the trimmable plastic strips on the backs of the tops leaves you with a 2-1/4" opening back there for filtration, hoses, heaters, etc.. I know my Odyssea 48" T5HO sets right on the tank edges and throws off some heat to the tops. This would cause plexi to sag, not to mention how scratched up plexi would get from cleaning, etc.

Obviously not the cheapest solution (prolly around $40), but very versatile.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think the last time I bought versa tops they were around $10 for the 24" ones.
$40 is probably a little steep for a pair.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
Measure the openings carefully. I had a hard time finding a replacement glass top for my 55 with a center brace, because the openings are smaller than for a 24" inch tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think the last time I bought versa tops they were around $10 for the 24" ones.
$40 is probably a little steep for a pair.
I paid ~$15/ea for 24s earlier in the year, so yeah, $40 would be a bit on the high side. I'm sure you'll come up with a $10 link shortly... (kidding)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store