Argh I added too much sand to my 200g tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I've been cycling my 200g tank (to be a FOWLR) with live rock for about a week now. Yesterday I decided to put in my sand (Carib-Sea Seaflor Special Grade).

Even though I rinsed the sand well in small batches, the tank water became very cloudy as I added the sand. In fact it became so cloudy that I couldn't see how much sand was piling up in there.

I accidentally created a deep sand bed--probably an average of 5 inches of sand.

At this point, I don't know if I should take some out (and do what with it?) or just decide to have a deep sand bed. If the latter, I don't know if I should have a proper unsifted deep sand bed or keep plenty of gobies and other sifters and just have a tank that happens to have a lot of sand.

What say ye?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Agreed. I might take it down a little more in some areas to say 2". Its ok to have some deepish drifts. I will even out anyway once you add some critters and vacuum your sand (assuming you will).

You will help clear the cloudiness too as you siphon out the sand. A piece of 3/4"+ tubing will work nicely. If you want to put the water back in, put the output of the tubing in a filter sock to catch the dust and sand and pump/poor the water back in.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Ok--I scooped out about 100 lbs of wet sand into a Rubbermaid container. So, like, what might one do with a container full of wet aragonite sand?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Let it dry out and bag it up in a thick trash bag. No reason you can't use it later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store