Preemptive med for new fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'd really like an all-in-one medication that's pretty well tolerated by the fish, no matter how delicate.

I'd need something that treats for external AS WELL as internal of the following: parasites, bacterial infections, fungal infections and viral infections.

I should be treating for viral and fungal infections, right? I know true fungal infections are rare but they can still happen,

I'm having trouble finding a well tolerated med that fits my criteria for treating ALL of what I mentioned. There's always something missing, it treats external but not internal, or it treats everything except for viruses...

Can someone please advise on a medication, or if there isn't one, a safe comprehensive combination so I can purchase them and mix it up?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'd recommend not dosing if at all possible, as well. I don't even medicate myself if I can avoid it.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd like a unicorn.

Oh, were we not asking for impossible things?

Sorry, but just as there is not a 'cure all' for humans, there isn't one for fish. Treatments must be tailored to the specific issue. Throwing a cocktail of meds at a fish when you have no clue what (if anything) is wrong is wasteful and IMO, bad practice. Quarantine new arrivals. Watch them. Feed them. Watch them more. Feed them more. If you see something amiss, identify what and treat it. Then watch the fish more.

It's not quick, but really, it is pretty simple.

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
Prevention is key; whether it be quarantine or baths of new fish, good nutrition, UV Sterilization, not exceeding the bio load of an aquarium, maintaining top notch water parameters, etc.

That said, I do use a product for new fish that while it is far from a cure all, as such a product does not exist, nor is the one I suggest the strongest treatment for any one disease, it still helps prevent Ich, Velvet, Fungus, and some very mild bacterial infections.
This is the Medicated Wonder Shell
Again, the keyword is “prevents”, it is not a cure all

This mineral block leeches out medications in amounts to maintain aid in prevention, as well it helps fish indirectly by adding a constant supply of mineral cations that in turn aid in Redox Balance and fish immunity.

Since I often only see a client’s aquarium every week to two weeks, this product has been very helpful at preventing disease when I am not around to watch the fish.

I do not recommend this product for planted aquariums, or at least planted aquariums with delicate plants (I have not had problems with Java Ferns, etc.)

Here is a link:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/MedicatedWonderShell.html

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Don't be discouraged by naysayers- you have the right idea.

You must quarantine new fish and Feed an anti parasitic food- soemthing that will kill intestinal parasites- for three-four weeks. those are the ones you have to watch out for because they can hide for weeks or months inside a fish. most of the fungal and bacterial and parasitic external infections (fin rot, ich, etc) are like staph- they are everywhere- looking for an opening in a fish with an compromised immune system. they dont need to be addressed.

I QT all fish at 82 degrees and feed a strict diet of anti parasitic food to kill things like callumanus where meds are all but impossible to find anymore. Anything else, I let the fish's own immune system conquer on its own.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't believe there is an all in one, and I would be cautious about treating "just in case" they have something. Though if they will eat the food, as Turbo mentions, isn't a bad idea IMO.

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
I would be cautious about raising temperature to prevent some common infections such as Columnaris .

Columnaris is an opportunistic infection that is controlled by LOWERING water temperatures to 75F or lower.
As well salt and correct positive mineral ions help prevent Columnaris (as well as the Redox Balance which in turn aids in fish immunity)

If there is an outbreak, fish baths and specific medication combinations along with removing certain stressors can cure Columnaris

Please reference this article, including the further university level references there in

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Last edited:

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'm not a fish expert, many times it's difficult for me to diagnose what the disease is.

I try to be careful and buy from sellers with good feedback but that doesn't always help. I lost almost an entire batch of expensive rainbow fish by following the advice of not treating unless I can diagnose EXACTLY what's wrong. Looking dull colored and not having an appetite really doesn't help me narrow it down.

SOME of the advice here was genuine and helpful, thank you. I didn't appreciate the attitude in the other replies and it was completely uncalled for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store