Diatom Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I am toying with the idea of getting a diatom filter for my 150 gallon to polish the water. I am running a 45 gallon sump at the moment but even with filter socks and floss I find that I still have particles in the water.

Is there something else I could try as a filter material before getting a diatom? If I go with a diatom what brand would you suggest?

I do weekly water changes cleaning all prefilter material at the same time. Lack of maintenance is not the issue. The tank always looks really clean other than the small floating particles.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Perhaps you need more mechanical filtration via large HOB. I found diatom filter to be a pain in the neck due to frequency of cleaning needed and It's messy stuff.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Diatom filters are good at polishing the water..

but they usually are not used for normal mechanical filtration as they clog fairly easy.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I understand the type of filter. Just can't decide if that is the route that I want to go. The particles in the water are tiny and not really noticeable unless you look closely. I was just thinking about the best method to have super clear water.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A micron filter like the sleeves in Mag 250?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could use a micron filter in a mag 250/350 .
the diatom filter is suppose to be better at polishing the water..

the choice is yours to make.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I love my Vortex. As has been said it's not an everyday filter.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I gave away my Vortex filter years ago. I hated to clean the thing, it was such a hassle. Anyone thinking a DE filter should understand how one would go about cleaning it. I dumped the old DE in my yard each time because I didn't think it would be wise to put that down the drain. I can't imagine dealing with blocked pipes due to DE plugging the system.

Yes this filter will create super duper clear water, like a tank that doesn't seem to have water in it at all. But only for a few days until the filter gets clogged and you have to clean it. I realized that it's pointless. If you want to show off your tank for a party then use it, but don't get it if you want to maintain that look. Mag 350 with no pass filter is for you IMHO.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The Vortex is awesome for an outstanding polish prior to taking pictures or cleaning out some specific suspended solids. They can be used continuously, but require frequent maintenance. The 250/350 micron sleeve set ups are probably your best option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store