Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Help!
[HR][/HR]I came home from school today and found a a bad sight. When I left in the morning my betta Spartan seemed fine. When I came home he was behind the heater, I know he wasn't stuck because he usually swims behind it. He was laying on his side but his fins were moving and when I went to get him out with the net to check on him he swam right behind the heater. After looking at him I think he might have fin rot but I didn't really realize it before because of his coloring. Hes breathing slowly, and I do see his fins going but he for the most part wont swim on his own. Please help, I really don't want to loose him. My other betta is doing well and acting active and normal.

These are the best photos I could get. His tail is a whitish see through until it gets to this weird pinky looking color that looks like it has mauve dots on it. I just cleaned out his tank yesterday a aprox. 97%

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
the only other tank mate in his tank is a mystery snail. I just cleaned the water yesterday so I don't think there would really be a harmfull fluctuation in water peramiters but ill try to test it tonight. Hes living in a 2.5 gallon (this was suppose to be temporary since I was planning on moving him into my 40 gallon because I thought my black moor was going to pass away and he hasn't wich im glad but now I cant use the tank so im hopefully going to get a 10 gallon soon to put my black moor in)
anyways my bettas tank dosnt have a filter yet because like I said I thought his stay would be temporary im hopefully going to get one this weekend. There is a semi sharp plant in there but there sharp parts are very small and its been in the tank for about 3 days but I now this isn't related to the plant because remembering nowa few of his fins were alittle ragady before I put the plant in (a fake plant). At the time I guess I didn't really think as much about it beause im 90% sure that I had a hydrogen sulfide water isuea (only in the tank) and his fins were alitlle read already from that.
Up until now hes been for the most part active and healthy as far as I can tell, but suddenly he just got sick. I added a sprinkle of aquarium salt and a drop of malifix and it seems to be helping some as hes swimming on his own every once and awhile. His breathing is still alittle slow and ive noticed that when he stops moving he tilts upword.
Should I keep him on malafix for the rest of the week (as it says to on the bottle) and use aquarium salt with 50% water changes and keep that up every day for a whole week?

Im sorry if my writing was confusing.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Key points for me:
"Hes living in a 2.5 gallon "
"my bettas tank dosnt have a filter "
"nowa few of his fins were alittle ragady before I put the plant in "
"im 90% sure that I had a hydrogen sulfide water isuea "
"and his fins were alitlle read already from that."

I would stop feeding and do daily 50% WCs...best thing for any fin rot is plenty of clean fresh water.

You mention the betta is headed for your 40 gal tank...what else is in there? And you plan on a 10 gal for your black moor...???? You might want to leave the moor in the 40 and put the betta in the 10.....

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Well I know that the 10 gallon would be small but I thought a lot about it and I think he would do beter in the 10 gallon. theres nothing else in the 40 gallon there was just snails but those are in my 50 gallon because I was medicating my 40.
unfortunetly last night both my betta and my black moor passed away.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
WHat were you medicating the 40 for? By moving snails to the 50, you may have transferred the issue there...

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Stay on top of water changes- clean water clean water clean water- and syphon the bottom of the tank, make sure you get as much gunk up as you can. Make sure the water is dechlorinated and the same temp as his tank, and big changes are appropriate.

Add melafix as directed, stop the salt, DO NOT FEED- not for at least a week. He wont eat if he is sick anyway . This is DEFINATELY a water quality issue- not sharp plants- not anything else- this is dirty water- and clean water should fix it. Don't worry about moving the snails to the 40- this is not a pandemic, its just a water quality issue. Don't feel bad either- many people make the mistake of thinking everything is fine until the fish lets you know its not and many more overfeed their fish- if you caught it in time and make sure his water is clean Spartan will live to fight another day. Don't give up on him.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Don't worry about the spots on him either- a sick fish who is stressed out will loose much of his color and you'll notice areas of pigment that weren't obvious before...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store