Hemianthus Callitrichoides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
Hi,

I setup my tank a month ago. I had some brown and green algae problems but I fixed it and the plants are growing well and water looking clear. I really love Hemianthus Callitrichoides in the foreground but some said it is inappropriate for my tank since the tank is deep and the temperature is warm. Here is my setup:

Size: 125Lx45Wx65D (Total 365L)
Lights: 4x OSRAM 54W 6500K, 1x Sylvania 54W Grolux (Total 270W)
CO2: Pressurized as needed.
Temperature: 28-29 C
Filter: Jebo 829 (1500 L/H)

Is it possible to grow Hemianthus Callitrichoides in this tank? I am breeding Discus fish btw.

Thanks.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
With the amount of light you have and it being the correct spectrum, i say go for it, i dont think you will have a problem. Maybe purchase just one bunch at first and see how you are able to get that to grow, if all goes well get more! good luck!

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
If I did my measurement conversion correctly, your tank is 2ft deep... that light is FAR away for HC.

Its really demanding and I've seen it work well VERY rarely from some extremely experienced and devoted people- and I don't know I would put my discus through the CO2 levels and dosing regimes that have been successful. the discus are also sloppy eaters and spend a good deal of time grazing so try a small patch somewhere in direct flow (to keep falling discus food off it) and see how it goes- because you know you're never going to be happy if you don't (lol).

bumbala

AC Members
Nov 14, 2013
Thanks for the answers. Besides HC what can I grow in the foreground successfully?

Thanks.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013

xianglianqin

Registered Member
Nov 6, 2013
I would put my discus through the CO2 levels and dosing regimes.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
I've even seen mosses used as a foreground carpet... I used to have quite a large patch in my tank that looked like a small slope going towards the back...

Although with mosses, bits of trapped food could lead to problems...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Starougyne works very well at higher temps and once the carpet forms, you can stock with RCS shrimps and they will get eaten here or there, but the population should avoid collapse due to the hiding in the plant beds.
I keep cardinals at similar Discus temps. Some of the sections behind the wood and other spots are VERY low light, I'd say it's like a Crypt concerning light.

Gloss would be better than HC, HC is tough for many folks.
I would not with Discus.
You need a tougher plant.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
HM (Hemianthus glomeratus, formerly H. micranthemoides) would be more appropriate as a foreground than HC—it doesn't need half as much light as HC and can even grow without CO2 supplementation, albeit at a much slower pace than it does with it. It'll offer a similar-looking plant without the hassles HC brings. It also thrives in horribly stagnant, warm ponds in Florida where the water temps hit the 90s, so the heat shouldn't bother it. It tends to grow upright in deeper tanks, so you'll need to trim it to maintain a shorter carpet, but frequent topping and replanting should get it to fill in the foreground pretty quickly.

I do, however, also agree that perhaps a CO2-injected planted tank is not the best choice for breeding discus...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store