worst purchase you have made?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
what is the one fish you wish you didnt put in your tank, worst product you ever used and worst fast food you have tried.

fish: zebra danios...

product: whisper WDF3000, the "Trickle sponge" always got clogged and water would just go everywhere

fast food: brekfast egg ham cheese muffin from dunkin donunts

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
Fish: That dang pink tilapia that reached 13" in less than a year!

Product: My Fluval 104 before they went to the ribbed hosing. There was no way to clean it!

Fast Food: The last time we ate at McDonald's about 3 years ago. It made us both sick, that was it forever. I don't think they had changed the fry grease.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Worst fish would have to be a common pleco. I bought one for my 20 gal. when I was a kid (they told me it stayed small). Dang thing ruined my tank!

Worst product was a heater that never worked right. Can't remember what brand it was though.

Worst fast food - one time I ate at a Mcdonald's and the sauce was spoiled.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
worst fish: 5 red eyed tetras, They are always hiding.barely even come out for food. I have had them 4 years and they are still skittish.

worst product: Pen Plax heater. Its the hang on the side kind. DIdn't work right straight from the box. It flickered on and off and would get stuck either on or off untill you touched it.

wosrt fast food: I ate at Wendy's last month and had a spicy chicken burger. I was sick for 3 days aftewards.Almost had to go to the hospital.

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
fish: channel catfish. **** things were mean and even beat the crap out of the oscars I had at the time. Worse fish ever. Got big enough to eat though. heh heh heh.

product: some brand 25 watt heater. Couldn't heat anything properly and the gauge was notroiusly unsteady. Would be set to 77 F and would find the water at 68 or even 85 at different times. Thing had a mind of it's own. Commited it to the great beyond.

fast food: Not really fast food, but it was a qucik bite. Mannhatten bagels gave me and my gf bagels with vegetable cream cheese spread and we both got horribly ill for a day and a half.

mrsdorothy

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Mississippi
Visit site
the worst purchase I ever made was when I first strted keeping fish a little over a year ago when I got my 55g tank. I didn't know anything about fish. Instead of surfing the web for information, I figured that I could get the best information at petco. Wrong!!! I went there for gravel and was asking the guy for fish information and let the guy talk me into buying 14 gouramis for this tank, the same day that I bought the tank. They survived the cycle, but by this time, I had figured out that they were some really mean fish, so I ended up taking 9 of them back. The other 3 died in fish fights.

Worst restaurant; Hardes. we went there for lunch one day and ended up sick for 3 days. place closed down about 3 months later.

I got some bad gravel in walmart once. Everytime I put fish in my niece's tank, they mysteriously ended up dead in a matter of hours. I had a little over 4" of gravel in my 55g and replaced her gravel with some of mine. The coating on her gravel had some kind of toxin in it that always colored her water.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
The dreaded Channel catfish, it ate everything that moved in our tank (which at the time of our inexperience was a 10g). It ate 4 tiger barbs, 4 guppies, and harassed a pictus cat and a female betta out of the tank. It now lives in my g/f's mom's pond at a whopping 25" and completely un-stocked the pond of goldfish.

PS. Thanks petsmart - The albino channel catfish is truly a "community fish".

Oh, and any tetratec filter is a piece of crap. Also any Tetra whisper submersible heaters paint peels off after a few months making a real mess of your water and possibly adding pollutants to it.

Last edited:

LGooley

AC Members
Mar 29, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Fish: The **** Gourami's I bought 1 week ago that brought some stupid parasite into my tank. They are fine & happy & I think trying to mate. They just wiped out 25% of my tank, including my favorite fish. (At least that is my conclusion to why all those fish died.)

Product: The first time I did fish the LFS told me I have to treat pH like you do in a pool. I was forever pH uping & downing. I think I pickled my fish

Food: I got an industry weight packing staple in a sandwich once. Now that was fun to bite into.:p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store