Is my pH too low?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
The pH on my cycling soon-to-be FOWLR tank is usually around 7.9, sometimes 7.8. Sometimes I hear that's too low, and sometimes I hear that it's OK as long as it's consistent.

I just mixed up a batch of new saltwater from RO/DI water and Instant Ocean. At SG 1.025, the pH is 7.8. (That's actually lower than the pH 8.0 of my tap water before it goes through RO/DI.) For what it's worth, my pH meter reads 7.3 for my RO/DI water.

I'm still (re)learning the chemistry behind it all, so I don't really understand why adding exactly the right amount of Instant Ocean to RO/DI water gets me such a low pH. But it does.

Do I (1) leave everything as it is, (2) incorporate some kind of buffer--which I was hoping to avoid, or (3) do something else--e.g., incorporate outside fresh air?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Your rock and sand will probably buffer it up a little bit, I wouldn't worry about it just yet, 7.9ish though low would be acceptable level in a fowlr. I'm guessing I/O lacks some of the buffering properties that reef specific salts have, my rodi ph is about the same as yours and usually tests 8.1-8.2 after mixing(kent, coralife, redsea pro)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Yep. what the status of the DT? Is there rock and sand in it? If so, is the rock/sand aragonite? pH will fluctuate over the day so it may not always bee that low.

I have never paid any attention to pH and I know very few that do. Adding a refugium can help keep pH stable but I wouldn't worry about this much.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
While cycling, I would not worry about the pH.

How long after you mixed up the new batch of sw did you test the pH? If it was soon after you mixed it, that could be why the pH is lower than expected. Getting the pH of newly mixed sw up takes a good amount of aeration / mixing with strong surface agitation.

If it remains just under 8.0 once your tank has finished cycling, it's not the end of the world. I wouldn't go as far as pH raising additives. That difference is rather small, and most likely within the error range of the test kit you're using.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
Yep, live rock and aragonite sand. Almost three weeks cycled. (The diatoms have made room for the green algae.)

I did measure the new water right after mixing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store