How do I switch from SW to FW?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Long story short, I had a 29g SW tank and a heater malfunctioned and fried all the fish and everything else in the tank. One of the things I wish I had done differently with this tank is actually have a bigger tank to begin with.

In my fish room I have a 55g tank. It's got just a handful of fish in it at the moment and they could easily be housed safely in the 29g. My thought is to just swap them. I could easily swap the gear and I overfiltered the 29g tank so the filter is actually the right size for a 55g. My question is about how to make the 29g safe for FW again? I could empty it, rinse it out outside, and put all my FW gear on it. What else what would I need to do?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Rinsing and wiping down is really all you need to do to the tank itself. New substrate wouldnt reuse the old sw sand in fw.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Rinsing and wiping down is really all you need to do to the tank itself. New substrate wouldnt reuse the old sw sand in fw.
I hadn't even thought of substrate. I'd move the SW substrate to the 55g tank of course, but 29g of substrate won't cover a 55g tank obviously. Hadn't thought of that.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Few more things to consider. You'll want rock. Live rock or dry but it should be aragonite rock and not what you would typically use in a FW tank. Yes, you can do a SW (fish only) system without it but there really is no reason. Your FW filter would provide little benefit other than to run a little mechanical and chemical media and a little water circulation. Speaking of circulation, you'll want 30X turnover minimum of water flow so you would need powerbeads. RO/DI unit would be highly recommended even for a FO system. You would not need to upgrade lights unless you went to a reef or if you didn't like the look of the light you have.

Suggest a little more research. maybe start with some of the stickies in the SW forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store