Epic Tank ! Triple Acrylic Set with Fish Bridge !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EpicTanks

AC Members
Nov 30, 2013
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, new to the forum. I recently decided to become an aquarium hobbyist but couldn't find a tank that was very interesting, so I designed and fabricated my own aquatic feature from acrylic. Each tank is 30x30x60cm which equates to a 162 Liter total capacity, not including the fish bridge which is 8x8x85cm and stretches the entire length of the feature whilst it's pushed together. The tanks can also be placed further apart to allow for ease of cleaning and because it looks awesome, but I've pushed mine together so it fits in the wall cavity in my home.

[video=youtube;NeaH2pU6ycE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaH2pU6ycE[/video]

Instead of bending the Acrylic twice to form an edge-less design, I went with straight standard edges so that the tanks would look definitively separate and so that the light from the rear of the tank would be unobstructed internally; which allows the blue lighting effect to reach all areas of the acrylic. Almost as if the tank is made of light. It also creates a bold contrast against the dark substrate, forming an attractive outline of the feature.

epictank3.jpg
epictank4.jpg
epictank6.jpg

To compliment the tanks I used three clear acrylic clamps, one per tank. These hold the intake and outlet hoses in place. Even though not visible, I wanted the hose connections to look really organized. I used standard hose fittings and clear hose to create a tailored plumbing solution, the outlet from the canister filter splits into a T, flowing into each side tank. I used a nozzle on the outlet to act like a power-head, and it gives me incredible surface agitation without creating too much aggressive water movement throughout the tank. The inlet is simple, and is located centrally in the center tank. I've since added a small hang-on filter to the center tank to allow for additional surface agitation, works beautifully and cant be seen! ;)

epictank5.jpg
epictank8.jpg
epictank9.jpg

An important part of this aquarium is the background art. I altered a very high resolution image to suit my application and printed it on Static Cling stock, which is typically used for window displays and advertisements etc. It allows me to have a semi-permanent product applied to the tank which won't fade, be damaged by water and will remain completely flush with the acrylic. This has equated to an incredible effect inside the tank, the lighting and the aquascape also further compliment the background art; with warmer light hitting the 'sunset' horizon and the tanks blue light filtering into the lower portion of the aquarium. Before printing, I edited the image and reduced the blue saturation and heightened the greens so that the background trees dint become blue martian trees.

epictank7.jpg
epictank2.jpg

Water changes are easy. I have a tap water conditioner hidden away in a compartment which I hang into the left hand tank and gravity feed the water out from the right tank. This allows the entire aquarium (fish bridge included) to be flushed out once or twice a week, roughly a 35% change each week. I would do it more often, but with no ammonia, no nitrates, incredible oxygen and a 8-1 hourly filtration ratio the tank virtually sustains itself.

epictanka.jpg
epictank.jpg

This is the finished aquarium as of a couple of weeks ago, I've made several changes since then. I wanted to create a true landscape, some optical illusions and encourage the tank's inhabitants to be more active. They spend lot's of time in the fish bridge and often move from tank to tank, which is cool because every time you look at it the fish have moved locations. Except for the bottom dwellers, they've staked out their homes and spend their days cleaning the tank for me. The canister filter is a 800LPH Ehiem Classic, which I've added a crystal clear water bag too because the wood was tainting my water with a yellow tinge. There is also an inline water heater on the outflow line which maintains a constant 28 degrees. Lighting consists of a single 40w on the top hidden behind the fish bridge, it has a warmer color to highlight the sunset. The other is a 20 watt blue, which is mounted behind the aquarium. In the ceiling above is a set of 80w high power led spot lights which are directed towards each side tank to fill in the gaps.

So far I have perfect water conditions which are stable and it's repetitively heavily planted considering the floor size being only 270 Square Cm. It's slightly overstocked, yet to no ill effect because i'I've chosen compatible community fish which each have a different preferred zone in the aquarium, top mid and low. The inhabitants are very active, explore often and play with each other happily. There's no predatory presence, thus no stress that I've been aware of.

epic18.jpg

The whole project hasn't been that costly, sure with what i'd spent I could have bought a much larger glass tank; but it just wouldn't have fit my requirements. I'm happy with the finished product, it's the type of aquarium you can look at for hours and hours and never get bored. Plus, It given our home a wow factor as people enter through the front facade and see it glowing at the end of the hallway. I was originally worried about in being hard to clean, but it's an absolute breeze. Water change takes less than 10min and a service clean taken just less than an hour, which i've only had to do once. There's just no algae build up and the water flow in the tank forces most of the bad stuff into the filter vs the substrate or the tank surface.

Well, that's all I can think of writing for now. I'd greatly appreciate your feedback!!!

PS: I'll do another video soon, the aquascape and tank stock have been dramatically improved since.

Thanks!!!

epictank3.jpg epictank4.jpg epictank6.jpg epictank5.jpg epictank8.jpg epictank9.jpg epictank7.jpg epictank2.jpg epictanka.jpg epictank.jpg epic18.jpg

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice work, but you will end up with problems. You have three tanks, basically 12" x 12" x 24", at about 14 gal US each. With the stocking shown, there will be issues.

EpicTanks

AC Members
Nov 30, 2013
With good water care, proper maintenance and correct feeding practices I don't foresee any problems, not a single issue thus far. Currently 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, balanced ph, crystal clear water, plants growing steadily, no algae, perfect cycles, effortless cleaning regime and many happy fish with no behavioral issues ..... Care to be more specific about these assumed issues?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Zero nitrates isn't a goal in a completely cycled tank, unless heavily planted, which I wouldn't consider yours as being. Your tank is fairly new and I think your cleaning routine will change drastically over the next few months. Those fancy goldies are cold water fish, mixed in with tropical. Their temperature requirements are different. Even though some folks mix them, one or the other will not be at their ideal temp and it will affect their life span. In addition, the diet of the goldies and angels are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

From watching the video, the goldies barely have adequate space to swim and the angels will need plenty more space than what you have allowed. While the tank is "cute" and you put a lot of effort in to it, obviously, it wouldn't be a chosen layout for most folks for the fish you have mixed in there.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I'm just curious, what made you go with three tanks and a fish bridge instead of one big tank or the tanks spread farther apart?

Very, very interesting design though! I can see why it is an attention getter! I agree though, longterm you may see some issues with goldfish and the other large fish you have in there.

EpicTanks

AC Members
Nov 30, 2013
Thanks, love the feedback. At 28 degrees, every fish in the tank is well within their approved temperature range; obviously it's not an 'ideal' temp for any one specific species but that's virtually impossible in a community tank that has a lot of variation in it (unless it's boring). Wouldn't you agree? I'd consider the tank fairy well planted considering it's size and dimensions. Yeah, feeding should be a difficult task. But surprisingly if done in the right order with some finesse and common sense they all get fed without drama.

As the fish get bigger they'll be deported to another tank, so that issue is irrelevant. This aquarium is a custom feature piece, I wouldn't expect most folks to have anything similar.

I'm not sure the "cute" pun fits an 170L aquarium. It's not an Fluval Edge...... ;)

Thanks

EpicTanks

AC Members
Nov 30, 2013
Anyone can stuff a fish tank in a wall, I saw an opportunity to do something different. Any chance to innovate or to be original should be taken, life would be pretty dull otherwise. Yeah, I'd rather spread the three tanks further apart, I saw some awesome pro theater speaker stands yesterday that would do the job. Would look awesome, have each tank sitting on it's own 30x30x100cm stand. I'll likely do that when I move it to my office. For now it fits in that wall cavity nicely.

I'll deport the big fish when need be, and then i'll have another project! ;) We're currently building our new home in Sydney. The Architect designed a wall cavity between the kitchen and the informal dining room which will house a massive salt water aquarium, has it's own machinery room; very exciting. But i'll likely let the pro's take care of that job, I know my limits. :)

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
obviously it's not an 'ideal' temp for any one specific species but that's virtually impossible in a community tank that has a lot of variation in it (unless it's boring). Wouldn't you agree?
I'd disagree whole wholeheartedly...

I'm not sure the "cute" pun fits an 170L aquarium. It's not an Fluval Edge...... ;)
It definitely looks cute to me, especially with the chosen background and moss trees.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Anyone can stuff a fish tank in a wall, I saw an opportunity to do something different. Any chance to innovate or to be original should be taken, life would be pretty dull otherwise.
I'd agree, as I'm sure most here would. The only problem people have is the fish inside the tank, not the tank design itself, which is quite interesting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store