budding java fern

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Are these new leaves growing from underneath the main leaf too small to pluck and stick into the substrate? Should I let them grow bigger? This is from my 12G QT.

IMAG1053-1.jpg

IMAG1054-1.jpg

IMAG1053-1.jpg IMAG1054-1.jpg

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Ok, so transplanted the leaves from my QT to my nano. Should I push all the roots into the substrate? I noticed that my existing fern in the nano had roots coming out of the sand. I tried to push those back into the sand. Is that ok or do these ferns rather have their roots on top of the substrate. I think I read someplace that roots should not be buried in the substrate?

IMAG1066-1.jpg

IMAG1066-1.jpg

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Java fern roots are fine to bury. It's the rhizome of some plants that will rot if buried. Bolbitis is an example of a plant that will rot if you bury the rhizome. BUT it depends on the substrate because loose gravel will not rot it... I know because I have some growing happily in loose gravel. Also you shouldn't bury grassy plants like vals too deeply or they will rot/melt. Java fern is pretty hard to kill... Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I think I've only "planted" Java Fern once... and frankly that was the one that has grown the least of all the ferns I have had. I wouldn't worry about any roots that start growing above the substrate. And like Jpappy, I usually let the plantlets detach on their own.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I think I've only "planted" Java Fern once... and frankly that was the one that has grown the least of all the ferns I have had. I wouldn't worry about any roots that start growing above the substrate. And like Jpappy, I usually let the plantlets detach on their own.
Cal is right. Java ferns get most of their nutrients from the water column, so planting them is not crucial. They grow as slow as Christmas anyway... Just let them do their thing :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
I have to second what most already said. Roots are ok to bury but leave rhizome above the substraight. The first set of leaves on the first few pic are the right size to cut off. After I cut it off I put a small pebble on the roots to weight it down. I think they do well if you attach them to drift wood or rocks as they are efficient in retrieving nutrients out of the water column.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store