Flowering Anubias Nana

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
My Anubias Nana flowered. The stalk started growing about a week ago, and then the pod and then this morning I woke up and found this!

20131201_194053.jpg

I know it's probably common, but for a relative newbie it's exciting. How long does the flower normally last?

20131201_194053.jpg

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Looks nice! Wonder what condition makes the plant flower like that.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks nice! Wonder what condition makes the plant flower like that.
I hear that!

The couple anubias nana plants I bought from Petco/smart took about 6-8mo to show much, if any growth. They're doing pretty well now finally. I'd love to have one flower.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Share your secrets! How did you get it to flower!?!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Share your secrets! How did you get it to flower!?!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Heh! I wish I knew! I've had these anubia plants (there's another in the opposite end of the aquarium) for almost two yearss now. The first six months the stayed small and then they've gone through periods of quick growth and plateaus of no seeming change. I dose daily with flourish excel and about three months ago I switched from a T5 fixture to LED lights. But I have no idea what made it bloom or how to do it again! :huh:

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
nice! I regularly have my emersed Anubias bloom but I don't think I've ever had an immersed one do that. The emersed one seems to bloom two to three times a year. Usually I only get one flower at a time but on the last bloom I got two.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Very nice, nanas are one of my favourites. Had some in my 55G in australia- one of my mum's friends gave us a couple of big bushes of it and it took over the tank in less than a year, no ferts or anything. Got to the point that I was actually throwing away a bunch of it every time i cleaned the tank. Definitely a hardy plant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store