Thai Micro Crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
I've thought about getting a few of these--I'm fascinated with them. However, I have read that some people say they never see them! I wouldn't want to get any if I couldn't ever observe and enjoy them. Anyone here have them, and do they come out, and what is your tank set up like?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on how you set up the tank. They hang out in moss or exposed roots, and will hide from pretty much anything else. I would not put them in with anything other than maybe shrimp. They're not very active, just kind of pick at the substrate and wander slowly around. Interesting animals, if you've time to sit and enjoy them, but a hard sell if you're not into species only tanks with teeeeeeeeeny occupants. I had some, liked them, but I seldom had the time to really sit and watch the tank long enough to find them, much less watch them.

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
Oriongirl, thanks for replying! I have a 4 gallon tank that I've decided to keep them in. I have a piece of driftwood (small) and a few PVC pipe pieces and a 2" clay flower pot in there, a sponge filter and 50 wt. heater. I've decided to keep them by themselves unless I get up the courage to put one of my CPOs in there and hope nothing bad happens. My question is, this tank is not cycled. I was planning to put used filter media in the filter and hope it cycles quickly. Would this be damaging to the crabs? Would I test the water just as I do for fish for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Or are they too delicate to be put in anywhere but a fully cycled tank? I have a 10 gallon that only houses endlers and RCS. But if I put them in there I'm afraid I'd never see them!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
you should see them. they like to hang out on sponge filter. they have low bio load so they should be fine if you seed the tank.
In other words, cycle it first. Generally speaking, always cycle.

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
Got my micro crabs!

012.JPGGot them today! Thank you, Bob's Tropical plants! Got them overnight! I thought a couple were dead, as they were playing dead, I guess, from fright. But soon all were moving. They were bigger than I expected. I thought I might not be able to see them easily. I got two full grown ones (I assume), two half grown, and a smaller, younger one. I love them! They look more like ticks than spiders to me. But when they walk sideways, it's obvious they are crabs! One grabbed a sinking wafer and backed it into a PVC pipe, too cute! It was almost as big as he was. They have since all retired to either the clay pot or the driftwood. I couldn't be happier! Here's pics of the largest ones. The smaller ones are just too small to photograph and see any detail at all. I highly recommend Bob's Tropical Plants!

017.JPG016.JPG

017.JPG 012.JPG 016.JPG

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The biggers ones, I believe, are more likely the females. The medium sized are probably full grown males and the smaller juveniles.

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
Thanks for the info, OrionGirl. I saw them out today! Or at least, three of them. Right after I fed them bits of krill and some sinking Hikari wafers, five minutes later, there were three out. Must have smelled the food! I was thrilled. Then later on, I saw one out, and my husband saw one after that. So I guess this is a good sign that they are coming out to eat, and hopefully won't be afraid of me! I'm really liking these guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store