Green Terror Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shabedi

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2013
I have an 80 gallon cichlid tank with a 7" Oscar and a few African cichlids. They get along pretty well. The Oscar really doesn't bother anyone, unless they try to challenge it.
I couple months ago, I got a young green terror. I knew from the start that green terrors can be pretty nasty. He was bullied a lot but there were definitely a lot of hiding places for him to hide and the tank isn't too crowded. Lately a few fish had been dying, and I found out that the terror, which is now about 4.5" long is terrorizing my tank.
I moved the furniture around, to try and throw him off, but I now realize he's bothering my Oscar, to a point where it is hiding all the time. The green terror is literally less than half its size. I asked a few people and they said the best thing to do is to get more S. American cichlids to act as a sort of checks and balances around the tank. My tank was pretty empty, all I had is the terror, my Oscar, and six African cichlids.
Will adding more solve the problem? What should I do?
I'm very experienced with community fish but I recently decided to start a cichlid tank almost a year ago and I am not used to so much aggression. Honestly everything was fine until the green terror started to mature.
I knew he would get more aggressive, but I didn't know it would be this bad D:
And he is definitely male, I'm not sure about the Oscar though, it isn't too aggressive, it could be a female maybe.
I took the advice from someone at my local fish store--they said I should get a Dempsey or something, so I did.
Unfortunately they fought a lot more and even though my terror kept winning, he was getting really beat up. His lower lip was actually coming off a little. I figured he wouldn't be able to keep it up so I moved him to a separate tank. Without the terror in my main tank, everyone seems to be getting along fine, the new Dempsey doesn't bother anyone really, it was just my terror.
I heard from a few other people that getting another Oscar or some silver dollars will help, but I don't know for sure. :confused:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The term "Africans" is a wide variety of fish...which ones specifically? Unless it was a 6 ft tank, I'd leave the Oscar in the 80 by its lonesome. I'd also re-home the Africans, Oscars can change dramatically as they age.

shabedi

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2013
Peacock and electric yellow cichlids. And none of them have a problem with my Oscar. I don't think it needs to be alone because I've had it for about two years and I've never had any problems. It's the green terror that's the problem :/

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
It seems like the terror is a lost cause. I'd rehome it to restore peace. You could try adding more fish... but that might bring about more issues.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
As Oscars age, they often change...but guess you will have to see that for yourself.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i would still consider the oscar. they get nasty, kinda like that old grumpy man, with age, he might think that the pretty peacocks are in his way, and off with there heads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store