Keeping the sand bed clean

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I want to add a sand sifting goby to my 92 gallon corner tank so that I keep the sand bed, especially the areas that are hard for me to reach, clean. I know a goby is no substitute for going in and actually vaccuming the sand bed with a water change but I figured it would still help. What is the best goby for this purpose? The fish already in this system include:

1x yellow tang
1x melanarus (could be joven's) wrasse
1x blue chromis
1x purple dottyback
1x coral beauty
2x ocelaris clown

Instead of a goby, I was also trying to figure out what CUC might be able to help me out. I was thinking nasarius snails. Only issue with this is that my tank has tons of hermits which I was told would go after the snails for the shells. Not only that, My wrasse hates CUC with a passion. Whenever I add hermits, I have to sneak them into the tank while he's not looking. Luckily their exoskeleton and shell seems to do a pretty good job of protecting them. I dont think this would be the case with the softer fleshy snails.

Another concern I had is that I am planning to re aquascape my tank. The sandbed under some of the rock work has not been vaccumed in a very long time, probably around 2 years. I have heard of people disturbing their undisturbed sand beds and releasing hydrogen sulfide into the tank and wiping everything out. I wasn't sure if this was only a cause for concern with DSB's though. Can my 2 in. sand bed also have the same dangerous potential? If so, is it just a bad idea all together to re aqua scape?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Diamond goby without a doubt.

2" sandbed isn't deep enough to cause hydrogen sulfide to build up because you can't create an anaerobic area that shallow.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep, but if you reshape your tank its always best to do it the same day that you do a WC. Move the bottom rocks slowly and siphon out the crap as you go.

Diamond goby is what most recommend. Gold head sleep gobies are another option.

CUC wise, your looking at a small fleet of fighting conch and tiger tail cucumber.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I think Nasirus are the only snails with shells that would fit some of my hermits that my hermits haven't killed, they just stir the sand though they dont actually eat any detrius are other stuff in the sand though they come out for meaty stuff.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Nassarius snails are poisonous so it makes sense why crabs would leave them alone, plus they stay buried in the sand most of the time. They are actually more harmful than helpful as they don't eat diatoms, they actually eat the infauna that lives in the sandbed (things like pods that help keep the sandbed cleaner than nassarius snails could) and also uneaten food. Like mentioned above, they are meat eaters.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ok good to kno I don't have to worry about that horrifying h2s thing. Greech that's a good call and what I was planning anyways. I bet theres gonna be tons of crap that I can pull out with the wc.

So I guess its a no on the nasarius snails. I mean I would like them even if they only stirred up the bed and didn't eat detritus but I definitely don't want them if they're gonna go after the beneficial fauna in my sb.

So the diamond goby not destroy the fauna as it sifts the sand?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I have always had a 6 to 12 nass snails in my 40B and I have never had an issue with them decimating life in the sand. Yes, the goby will eat the little critters in the sandbed too (while dumping sand all over your corals :)).

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
The goby usually only eats the very top layer, the layer you want cleaned. It will eat pods by chance, but it is the diatoms that you want gone that it feeds off of mostly. As far as spitting sand everywhere, I have had good luck with diamonds not doing that.. bullet/dragon gobies on the other hand are huge coral crop dusters. The yellow headed sleeper is also a good choice.

In a healthy enough tank a few nas nails won't decimate pods or worms, but they certainly put a dent in them. I used to have them for many years, once they all died off I never replaced them and my sandbed turned into a tubeworm garden in just a couple months, thousands of mini feather dusters living in the sand, which seemed to keep my deep sand bed much cleaner than nas snails could. The diamond goby also doesn't seem to harm the tubeworms, just sifts around them. The only thing I like about nas snails today is their comical behavior. They always remind me of night of the living dead how they rise out of the sand as soon as food hits the water.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
^Haha yeah I like that about the Nas snails.

I think what I'll do is try out a diamond goby and continue with vacumming whatever I can and see how well that does for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store