Open fish room (alcove)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
So my 'rents said I can have a fish room. Yay! I can continue to feed my fish addition. The only problem is that the room is open, there's no door to it. It's an open room off a main room. I think this is called an alcove? They refuse to allow a wall or sliding partition to be put up. There's an oriental folding screen but obviously, this isn't top to bottom coverage.

So I'm assuming this is going to make heating my tanks pretty inefficient. The basement (where it'll be) is heated but not to tropical temps... Most people seem to heat the room with a space heater rather than a separate heater per every tank.

Even if I get a separate heater per every tank, is this going to be a huge energy and money drain? There's nothing to insulate and hold the heat.

If it makes any difference, my shelves will most likely be plywood. So that's the bottom to hold heat. Most tanks will have a wall at their back, another tank to their sides, but nothing covering the front half.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If there is a doorway, you could always hang an insulated curtain on a rod across the opening. Posting some pictures of the area would probably get you more ideas.

What are the dimensions of the room?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store