Upgraded tank and need filter advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zipperpi

AC Members
Dec 4, 2013
New Haven, Ct.
Hello,

I currently upgraded from a little 10 gallon starter to a 55 gallon. The 55gal is outfitted with an Emperor 400 filter, no heater and no additional aeration accessories. I started my cycle about a week ago and seasoned (correct term?) with gravel and a decoration from the 10gal. Current residents are a 2-2.5" Fantail Goldfish and 6 Gold Mountain Cloud Minnows. I moved the Minnows in 3 days ago and moved the Goldfish in this morning. I have 1 Hornwort and 1 Frogsbit plant on the way (thinking about 4 moss balls as well). I'm a little concerned about the level of filtration and aeration in the tank. The Emperor is off to one side as the middle cross member prevents me from centering the filter. I'm concerned about a dead spot developing on the other side of the tank. I'm thinking of buying an additional Emperor 400 or a powerhead. Is this wise? Am I screwing anything up? I've attached a pic of the tank for reference.

photo 1.JPG

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
A powerhead is a valid idea, however, with goldfish, I'd say another filter. Maybe look at an Aquaclear AC 70 to put on the other end. It may be a little more pricy than a comparably sized Penguin, but it'll pay for itself by not having to replace media monthly, pretty quickly, and it's pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking) if you buy from Amazon.

Be aware that goldfish are likely to eat your plants.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just make sure it's an LED fixture intended for plants. The ones that are, are hundreds of dollars for a 55g tank.

Like said, goldfish may eat and tear-up live plants, so you might want to consider different stock.

What type of tank stand is that?

Welcome by the way!!

Zipperpi

AC Members
Dec 4, 2013
New Haven, Ct.
Will do. The "stand" is a mid-mod Lane table I "secured" from my wife's furniture collection :grinyes:. It's low enough for my son to help out (he's 4). Did some tests and a little back of napkin math. Seems to be holding well.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The risk in repurposing existing furniture is that it's not always intended to hold that kind of weight, especially if it shifts, such as during water changes, and may fail. I need to get around to buying one of the Satellite+ models. I'll probably get one for my 10 first, and then get one for my 55, but that's kind of a lower priority these days.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I'd go for another filter as well considering the inhabitants. The Satellite + LED fixtures are awesome, and if they are still one sale not too pricey at all. I think I paid $115 a piece for my two... This is especially considering the lower power usage and you won't have to replace any bulbs. One fixture on top of your tank would probably be enough for low light plants. I have setup a 55gal with a single fixture (it went from a 48" T5HO fixture to the Satellite +) and about 6 weeks later it seems to be growing guppy grass, anubias, crypts, hygrophila, and a few other plants just fine (albiet a bit more slowly).

Zipperpi

AC Members
Dec 4, 2013
New Haven, Ct.
Great. I'm going to pick up a 2nd Emperor 400 on the way home. I know you guys recco a different filter. However, Petco has the 400's for $38 right now. Can't turn down that deal.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
AC 70s are about $50 on Amazon right now, and in my opinion, are more than worth the difference in cost. If you go looking at HOB recommendations on this site, you'll see a *ton* for Aquaclear filters because they're versatile, quiet, and dependable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store