Swordtail babies and Parasite meds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
Mother dropped around 50 fry one month ago and died recently from what appears to be a parasite problem after transfered to another tank. Is it safe to treat the month old fry with SeaChem Paraguard? I have some coming in the mail to treat the big tank but can I treat the baby tank without harm? Would it be better to use a medicated food?

swandog

Barbarian Tyrant
Oct 16, 2012
Mackinaw MI
Real Name
Bill
They emailed back yesterday and said
"Sorry to hear about your fish. Paraguard is usually fairly well tolerated by most fish, but fry can be sensitive so I would be careful when using it or any other medication with fry. Paraguard is also best for treating external parasites. For internal parasites, i would recommend using Metronidazole. It is well tolerated by most fish, but again I'd use caution when treating fry. You can start with a half dose to see how they react before using the full dose."

I felt I shouldn't wait so I found some Jungle Parasite Clear tabs and treated the 65g tank with the parents and other fish showing infestation. After one dose the Platy's and Swords are pooping white stringy trails with larger clots of I'm assuming are dead parasites. I think I'll try a 1/2 tablet in the 10g fry tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store