Filter Media Never Really "Dirty"...Problem?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I've noticed that on both my HOBs -- an AquaClear 110 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55 -- when I pull the media out to dunk in removed tank water from time to time that the carbon cartridges of the Aqueon AND the sponge of the AquaClear are both really never that dirty...this seems weird since I house three fancy goldfish in my 60 gallon, though I AM religious with big water changes, doing 50% weekly and a 15-gallon "mini change" about mid-week (treated with Prime at every change).

No matter how many times I rinse the spone and dunk the cartridges, not that much -- if any at all -- debris goes into the bucket; there is always some kind of food or waste debris that I can see getting flushed into the bathtub when I empty the bucket and the water is slightly discolored, but it's not like "Oh my G-d! That is BLACK!" or tons of gunk is coming out of the media...

Is this merely because my water is actually in good shape, or is it something to be concerned about? Neither of the filters are blocked in any way and flow isn't restricted in either of them -- is it somewhat "normal" for HOBs not to build up a great deal of debris and gunk like this? Is it merely a sign of a more healthy tank?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Most of my gunk comes from larger fish waste, like plecos and clown loaches. It really does depend on size and how often you clean them out. I rinse mine pretty hardcore after two weeks and the bio sponge is a bit gunky.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Do you clean the substrate? I've found that even with lots of water movement, most waste ends up in the substrate. The filters get clogged with mulm more than solid waste.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't worry too much. I normally go 3+ weeks (until output seems reduced) before cleaning my sponges. I'm sure that if I were to clean them weekly, I'd be seeing similar amounts of discoloration as you are.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I would agree that most of the waste is probably in the substrate. Because you clean so often most waste is probably just removed, especially if you vacuum the substrate. The sponge prefilter on my HOB filter on a 20g shrimp tank is the only part that gets dirty. I usually clean the sponge every few weeks and checked the HOB after about 6 months and found that it is almost completely clean.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Most of my gunk comes from larger fish waste, like plecos and clown loaches. It really does depend on size and how often you clean them out. I rinse mine pretty hardcore after two weeks and the bio sponge is a bit gunky.
Well, I don't have a clue then because I sometimes remove at least the Aqueon cartridges earlier than two weeks and still they're not that gunked up...

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Two filters, rigorous water change and cleaning schedule, stocking is reasonable...I think you're just a good fish keeper.
Thanks Danny...I'm hoping this is all it is. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store